newbie k1200s owner with a couple probs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2017, 6:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

newbie k1200s owner with a couple probs

Good afternoon All,
recently traded my Buell xb9r for a slightly better condition 05 k1200s
Plenty more go and top end so very happy so far.
it has a couple of problems and as im no spanner man, i was wondering if you kind folk can point me in right direction please.

1st problem is the front right indicator, i thought it had simply blown the bulb but on replacing it still refuses to flash.....any ideas?

2nd problem, when initially started it idles fine then after a couple minutes it starts to fluctuate between 900-1.5k revs. It has a power commander fitted, standard can and filters, so i'm thinking the previous owner had a race can or similar on it and removed it before selling. I'm thinking it may also have the o2 sensor still connected as its still in the exhaust near the can.
Am i right in thinking that with a commander fitted the o2 sensor needs disconnecting from the starter?
if so whats the best way of getting to the starter? do i need to remove fairings/seat/tank?
many thanks in advance. Lee
nice site btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2017, 5:34 am

Garage
Yeah that little Sporty powered Buell Didn't have much more after 120. I still have the kick start only '67 CH I bought new when I was in my 20s. I had to quit riding it after it was 86 Inches and I was in my 60s. I have the Buell ZTL2 Rim mounted Disk and 8 Piston Caliper mounted on my '08 K 12 S. Love the brake and it looks killer.

I'd guess the directional is a short if the socket looks OK. It should be showing a light fault on the dash, right?

As for the Power Commander and what ever the previous owner did; first off, you can put the file back to stock as a starting point. Go to their website to see how this is done. From there, you should make up your mind what you are going to do with your bike and make all those changes. Pipes, Muffler, Air Cleaners or any other intake mods. any engine modifications, etc. You'll want to have a well running set of injectors in place, run a couple doses of fuel system cleaner thru it at the very least . Put a new set of spark plugs in and then go spend the money on the Dyno tune. Also, Did you ask the owner what he has on the bike? When ever I buy a vehicle, I take notes.

As for the O2 sensor, It's not really attacked to the starter. It plugs into the main wire harness up in that area on the right side under the back of the gas tank. You may be able to see if it's unplugged by going in there with a small lite and a mirror. If you can't see it, you'd have to take the tank off to tell for sure.

Removing the tank is not that big a deal. You take the seat and the tank skins off. There is two large bolts in the back and the gas line is a quick disconnect that will not spill one single drop when removed or installed. there is an elec. connector and two other breather hoses in the same vicinity as the gas line and that's it. While you're in there, you can check all your hoses and wires for rubbing and blow the piles of dead bugs out with an air hose. %^D
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 12:12 pm
Noob

Hey Spaceviking, would love to see that brake mod on ur K12?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 5:41 am

Garage
This work took me damn near a year to design and build. The brake is off the last year of the Buell when Eric finally got the 1125 Rotax together. Previously they only had a 6 piston caliper and it just wasn't quite enough to equal the double 4 piston, 2 disk setups everyone else in the market was (still is) running. So he finally contracted to Nissin to produce the 8 piston unit. The brake is amazing and a genuine effort of thinking out of the box. So was Beemer's work with the redesign of the Girder Front End. BMW has always gone their own way and I respect them for that. I just had to see these two unique efforts both together on the same bike. It was a shit load of work and I managed to do it while saving the ABS as well. The only break I got in the project was the Buell wheel was a "bolt up" in the K-Bike Forks (did not have to machine a custom axil). All I had to do was make one shim about .030 thick to space it up. Everything else was a Bitch.

I made the mounting brackets in 316 Stainless and sprung the bucks to bolt everything up with Titanium fasteners. I also did some die grinder work to clearance the inside of the caliper to facilitate air cooling. We then striped the paint off everything and polished a lot of the bare Aluminum and repainted the rest in Deltron Urethane silver to match the rest of the bike's frame and wheels. To find real Brembo pads to fit that big caliper, I had to find a place in England that carried them. As far as my efforts have shown, you can find everything you want from Brembo in the USA except the frigging pads. They where pretty spendy but I figured they'd be worth it and I wasn't disappointed.

I have since circumnavigated the entire US on this setup and have had no trouble with it at all. Some Buell 1125 owners have complained about brake "pulsing" and you can see that any irregularities with that huge disk could do that. I have not had any of that problem. I think it's the Brembo pads that have helped with that.

The finishing touch was last spring I added a Brembo RCS-19 lever to the system to pump a little more juice to that big caliper and that worked out fine. Looks cool too.

One other point; I did not try to do all this on a full tilt "Servo Assist" ABS system. When I was shopping for my scooter, I looked long and hard to find a Bare Bones bike knowing that complications just multiply when you are trying to do modifications on vehicles with a bunch of electronics. It could very well be possible to pull something like this off with a fully loaded bike but you might have to be an Elec. Engineer to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beemer Front Brake 10-16.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	947.9 KB
ID:	21361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buell Front Brake 10-16.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	744.1 KB
ID:	21369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beemer for 2016 2 New Paint Rear View Camera.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	21377  

Last edited by SpaceViking; Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:13 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode