Clutch Hydrolic Problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2006, 2:19 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Clutch Hydrolic Problems

My new blue/white S Arrived last May. It is Awesome. Two & half months ago I stopped in the alley behind my house to looked behind me. Had the revs up some. The clutch engaged, the bike burned rubber for 6 to 8 feet and spit me off into a telephone pole. After a helicopter ride and 1 night in emergency and 3 days in ICU a couple of months recoup am ready to ride. Problem is bike is not fix yet will be soon. The clutch hydraulics had air in them and made the clutch engage. It seems there is another S just like mine in the BMW dealer where mine is with the same problem and he layed it down also. Now Im a little worried about riding it. This is a small dealer I have it at, what about other dealers. Has anyone had any simular problems? Thanks for reading my story and any help you can offer.
PF-W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2006, 7:17 pm
Veteran

mmmmm..you could have a good case...look into web sites and forums..and collect any info you can on that problem....dont talk to dealer about it and the take your findings to an honest lawyer ....if you get a lawyer that wants to go for extra claims and says he wants to burn them....dump him...trust me...just do the honest thing. ...hope your doing ok...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2006, 8:15 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhite
My new blue/white S Arrived last May. It is Awesome. Two & half months ago I stopped in the alley behind my house to looked behind me. Had the revs up some. The clutch engaged, the bike burned rubber for 6 to 8 feet and spit me off into a telephone pole. After a helicopter ride and 1 night in emergency and 3 days in ICU a couple of months recoup am ready to ride. Problem is bike is not fix yet will be soon. The clutch hydraulics had air in them and made the clutch engage. It seems there is another S just like mine in the BMW dealer where mine is with the same problem and he layed it down also. Now Im a little worried about riding it. This is a small dealer I have it at, what about other dealers. Has anyone had any simular problems? Thanks for reading my story and any help you can offer.
PF-W
don't take this wrong, but there is some info missing. why did the revs come up? how high? even if the hydraulic line failed completely, the brakes on these bikes are more than ample to overpower a w.o.t. launch. even if there was air in the line (not saying there wasn't), i'm suprised you had enough throw to stop the bike in the alley yet enough drag to to do a 6-8 foot burnout and then launch you into a telephone pole. had you been having problems with the clutch prior to this? was it documented?

all of questions are very relevant and would be the first thing any attorney would ask. also, since this is your first ever post, where are you located? i would think that talking to the dealer and bmwna (if you're in north america) would be the prudent first step.

hope this helps.

regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2006, 9:24 pm

remember all the post's about the rear brakes not breaking,
the actual problem is that the lever's spring is binding between the lever and the mount
it need's space in spring section for it not to bind,
i personnally took it into my own hands since BMW probably won't! with such a detail.
but how important is a rear brake on a bike with 150 WHP ?

stroker
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 8:59 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Hydrolic failure

I had the revs up a little. 4-5000. On a previous outing at a light clutch master cylinder bypassed and killed the motor. While riding before the crash I noticed it hard to get into neutral and not a good feeling clutch. I had called the dealer describing the problem. He said I would have a M/C cylinder kit ready when I brought it in. When he got 2 bikes in with the same problem he called BMW and there reply was they have no knowledge of any problems. The acident happened so fast and I was looking behind me I didnt have time to react. I only remember back end coming around. there where leave etc. in the alley. I only ask this question because of feelings I have about getting back on this particular bike. But since there is another bike at this dealer with the same problem and the first post I got talked about legal action I will keep this option open but not inclined to persue
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 2:23 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhite
I had the revs up a little. 4-5000. On a previous outing at a light clutch master cylinder bypassed and killed the motor. While riding before the crash I noticed it hard to get into neutral and not a good feeling clutch. I had called the dealer describing the problem. He said I would have a M/C cylinder kit ready when I brought it in. When he got 2 bikes in with the same problem he called BMW and there reply was they have no knowledge of any problems. The acident happened so fast and I was looking behind me I didnt have time to react. I only remember back end coming around. there where leave etc. in the alley. I only ask this question because of feelings I have about getting back on this particular bike. But since there is another bike at this dealer with the same problem and the first post I got talked about legal action I will keep this option open but not inclined to persue
not so much as to to burn them but to put a little pressure on bmw so as to look into the problem and to at the least make it known so as to get to the bottom of it and keep others safe......maybe its a fluke....and maybe its a problem with just a certain production run....(new guy puts a seal in backwards)...just so they know that people are aware and that people are paying attention....thats all i really ment.....and shit maybe get a free hat out of the deal....im sure it must have cost $$$$$ for med bills.....and BIKE REPAIR...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 7:26 pm
Addict

Glad you're OK, but why did you have the motor at 4-5k rpm's????

Mal Glanz
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
'09 K1300S
'09 CBR1000RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode