Switching off brake failure light on 2006 K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 10:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Switching off brake failure light on 2006 K1200S

Hi guys,
I just removed the ABS of my 2006 K1200S. ABS failed like many others in this forum. Decided not to give my money to BMW, and instead took out the ABS and now have a fully functional bike with brakes, but no ABS. Have already put 300 miles on it, and so far, so good. Except for the bloody blinking brake failure light and red triangle. Does anyone know how to make this stop? Can the computer be "fooled" so it stops detecting the lack of ABS? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for feedback/support.

Best regards, WADO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2017, 7:42 pm
Rookie

Did you keep the electronic part of the ABS so your speedo works?
There is an ABS status relay that indicates the fault. I believe you can wire that to be always on to remove the fault.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 7:55 am
Noob

Did you ever fix this issue? I have a 2005 K1200S with the same dilemma and I'd like to disable the dummy lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 8:13 am
Noob

The ABS was non functional when I bought my '08, and the PO had put a piece of tape over the indicator lights, so the selling dealer did not even know about the problem, which I soon discovered, and became a warranty situation.

The local BMW dealer would only replace with a factory module, but then both the selling dealer and myself would have lost money.

The selling dealer, the local BMW dealer and myself worked together to make a suitable deal.

BMW removed the module during the airbox recall and 20K service. I sent the module to "Module Master" in Idaho, for a full rebuild (with 5 yr warranty) and BMW reinstalled, and selling dealer warranty picked up the tab.

Module rebuild is only $250, BMW covered the airbox recall, and I paid for the 20K service
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 8:22 am
Rookie

Garage
Whatever solution you read, it will always involve having the brake failure light on. When the pump fails, the computer will always spit out the error. There is no quick fix, homebuild or do-it-yourself solution. RH-Electronics created a "dummy plate", and that will stop the lights flashing and your speedo will work too (speed signal is measured through the abs).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2019, 9:13 am
Noob

Your responses comport with what I've read on the K1200S but some have cut an ABS-W wire on older models with some luck. I wasn't sure if there was an option to do that on the K1200S or not. I'm also curious if anyone has dug into the dash and disconnected/deleted/hulk smashed/hidden the dummy light. That was going to be my weekend project but didn't want to recreate the wheel or discover it's a failed venture.

Tags
abs, brake failure light, k1200s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in