'05 k12s fuel issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2017, 3:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation '05 k12s fuel issues

Greetings all. I'm new to this site and forum,but not to riding or k bikes.
With all that being said , I've got the first issue with my '05 K1200s. During winter storage my bike's battery died. No big deal, recharge and hit the road. NOT! After getting a 100% charge on battery bike would'nt start. Cranks over like a champ, but will not start. I then began pulling bodywork and got it to the point where I could remove air filters and spray a small amount of starting fluid into the intake funnels.Bike fired,but will not keep running. When ignition is first switched on, I hear fuel pump running and all normal diagnostic checks being made. Getting up to this point I've checked all switches and I know that they are all functioning properly because otherwise it wouldn't fire off momentarily on starting fluid.
any and all replies greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2017, 11:23 pm

Just a guess. Are you confident the fuel that you have in the tank is in good condition?

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 7:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yes. I added conditioner before winter storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:53 am

Again just a suggestion:

Hook up (with alligator clamps) a reasonable quality digital VOM. Eyeball where the voltage falls as you attempt to start the bike. I don't know what the lowest voltage is that will still energize the ignition system.

Years ago I dcked around with an old Ford. It would crank all day long but the voltage (available) wouldn't fire the ignition system. I hooked a set of jumper cables to a known good battery and away it went. It was friend's used POS and I got it out of his yard.

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2017, 2:58 am
Noob

Garage
Starter fluid and high compression is self detonating (like a diesel engine).

Once you let the battery run flat, you might have one cell that isn't getting charged back up.
My battery ran flat and I charged it overnight showing 13.4volts. But then the voltage dropped after a couple of hours and stayed at 8 volts for weeks.
One of the cells wasn't charging anymore and the other 5.4 volt were squeezed into the remaining 5 cells.
Your battery might have enough voltage to boot up the bike and run the fuel pump and ABS check, but it may just not have enough voltage/amps left once the starter relay engages.

Have you hooked tried jump starting from the car battery?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2017, 9:41 am
Noob

Thanks for the answers, i have the same problem
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2017, 1:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks to all for the replies. I've installed a new fresh battery......no luck. I've pulled fuel tank out and I have a good flow of fuel coming out of pump ,but don't have a way to check pressure at present. I called Bentonville BMW in Arkansas and talked to Jerry in service(I've known him for years) and he has told me how to hook up pump and check for pressure and to check regulator on the fuel rail. One last item was to remove each injector and momentarily connect each one to a battery and see if it sprays. He also told me not to hold each one to the battery for more than a split second, because if you do it will fry the injector coil.
I will post up success or failure ........stay tuned.
Rager likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2017, 12:38 am
Noob

Garage
Check the alternator plug and grounding cable......(In the same area where the alternator sits). Not the you have bad ground.
Because the negativ polarity is distributed from the battery to the modules using cables in some instances, and secondary via the ground cable.

I would not recommend hooking up the injectors to the battery..... The Amperage will fry them instantly.

Last edited by Patrique83; May 26th, 2017 at 12:51 am.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2017, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I've borrowed a fuel pressure gauge and when I turn the key on ,the pressure gauge reads 82 psi. After 66 seconds the pressure drops to 72 psi. It stays at 72psi for another 60 seconds. I don't know what the specs are and if anyone has the factory specs please provide.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2017, 1:26 am
Noob

Garage
Maybe your fuel pressure sensor has gone south over winter..... just thinking out loud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode