K12S Questions from potential buyer... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 11:23 am Thread Starter

K12S Questions from potential buyer...

So, as mentioned before, I recently sold a 'Busa and I'm looking for my next sport/sport touring machine. The KS looks sweet, but brings with it a hefty price tag.

From reading this board and others I've learned that the latest software version fixes some issues at low revs but causes "burbles" on deceleration, there may or may not be issues with the clutch, etc.

Since I'm new to BMW bikes, I'm curious why some of you that have switched from Japanese sport bikes switched to BMW and what your observations are...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 11:51 am

to start off I have a KR and I am 26
I had a 02 R1 and at the hang out spot 80% are GIXXERS and the rest are Kawi and yamaha and hondas with one or two Triumphs there
I wanted something way different and that I was sure no one else will show up on.
I also wanted a naked but but all the japs have are DETUNED bikes and well I still want HP and BMW gave me the best of both world with lots of extra that you can not get from JAP bikes.

Just remember as we want more HP in bikes but don't want to pay more for them, something on the back has to be cheap on it and lately the suspension on bikes have gone to shit and now you have to buy a set of ohlins shocks and forks for the bikes for the overall package and BMW did not go that way

I get shit about riding a BMW but how many sportbikes have 100,000 miles on them
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm 33, but I ride with guys ranging from 20 - 60. The large majority of them ride Japanese bikes, but quite a few are on Aprillias, Ducs, and a Triumph Bonny. No beemers, yet.

Did you compare the S to the R or did you go straight for the R since you were looking for a naked bike? How many miles on your R? Joys? Regrets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 12:26 pm
Veteran

I grew up on Japanese bikes.. Kawi's..Suzukis.. Hondas.. never owned a Yammi. Major HP junkie. I never owned a BMW until the K1200RS hit the showrooms a few years ago as honestly... everything BMW offered to the public up until them didn't meet my "minimum" HP requirement..

Up until that time I was riding about 15-30K a year on my bikes and virtually without exception when whatever jap bike I was riding hit the 40K mark.. they always felt worn out... and with that kind of milage.. worthless on the used-bike market. I thought this was normal and that ALL bikes were probably worn out after this amount of miles.. That is until I started riding BMW's which aren't even broken in properly until 20K and usually start running their BEST at around 40K... Amazing.. They are built so much better...

While I like the looks of the some of the current jap bikes I don't think I'll ever buy another unless it's just for track days. Something I can thrash and trash and cheap to repair. It has nothing to do with loyalty to BMW. It's just that I am now spoiled by the quality of the bikes they produce. The BMW (at least the K series) is a great over-all package.. they do everything well. Sure they have odd problems but BMW usually jumps on them and fixes them quickly.. and under warranty.

an analogy... Have you ever driven a BMW car? and then get out and drive a Camry or Accord? All good cars, but... One is designed to be "driven" and actually makes you feel special when you are behind the wheel. The others are just designed to get you from point A-B cheaply and generically.. Guess it depends on what you want out of your riding experience..

Are BMW's worth the high pricing...I think so.. and I would assume most here do. Try one and decide for yourself.. "What's in YOUR wallet?"

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 1:24 pm

Well alex73
I did go straight to the R model but I did look at the S but wanted the naked look. There is not much different between the R/S
I have 3000miles on it in about 1 1/2 months.
The only regret is that I wish it was not as long. But hey that is nothing compared to the joys I have kicking other peoples asses on it and them having nothing to say afterwards.

Pirate has it right about the Jap bikes feeling worn out after 40000 miles and also the car deal, my parents have a BMW car and my girl has a camry and the BMW has a whole different feel to it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 2:13 am

I sold a ZZR 1200 to my my S.

ZZR was a very good bike but I wanted a change. Why the S.

1. Build quality is outstanding.

2. No chain!

3. Better brakes - in fact excellent brakes

4. More precise handling

The engine is on a par with the ZZR's.

The gearbox isn't as good on upshifts.

Overall for me still worth the extra money.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 8:55 am

As a squidly youth I could never justify spending WAY over my budget on (god forbid) a twin. Besides I thought the styling was plain fugly IMO.

Then last spring I had a little chat with my Uncle while visiting him over 400 miles away on my trusty bulletproof '96 Suzuki RF600R. My ass was sore even with a Corbin and the technology was showing its limits. My Uncle had giving up riding his Goldwing a few years ago but we were chatting and I mentioned that I wanted to do more Long Distance.

Did I ever consider a Goldwing? No, I told him I wanted a sport-tourer, I liked to ride aggressively. BMW? They dont make anything that looks "sport-touring". Then I got on the website and saw HER. The K1200S was just making waves and it just STOOD out that this was why I had ever gotten into this expensive hobby.

That was in June and I saved every last stinking penny I could to purchase one. No regrets, none what-so-ever. This bike just keeps getting better with every mile slapped onto the odometer.

On top of everything else dealing with BMW is unlike dealing with a multi-rice shop. Chicago-BMW has great people IMO and they always make you feel at home, in fact I think that they have some riders that spend more time hanging around than riding.

If you can afford it and can convince yourself that riding will take on a new level of fun and that the bike won't be left in the garage, then BMW would be the way to go.

Kaos
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:26 am
ryo

I just sold my 06 r1 and got an 06 K1200S. Probably the easiest way to explain it is that there was nothing wrong with the R1, quite comfortable in fact after a few mods, but it just simply made me do stupid things, ok, ok, it made it too easy to do stupid things. It was either get rid of the R1 or wave good-bye to my license. That being said, you can be every bit as stupid on the KS, but it doesn't make you do it, it is much easier to "ride civilized" on it, yet you can still ride stupid fast when the situation warrants. The looks on the rice rocket guys faces when they've been beat by a Beemer, is priceless.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:35 am

I bought my KR and my girls FZ-6 at the sametime from two different shops and the way the dealers treated us was completely different. The Adventrure BMW was great they even had the hard tags ready for me when I picked it up and the other shop didn't even give us an owners manual and when we went back to get it they said we had to wait till the salesman that we bought it from was at work because he is the only one that could do anything for us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode