K12S Questions--Potential buyer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

K12S Questions--Potential buyer

Background: Currently an '03 K12RS owner. I'll be keeping the RS as a sport tourer for me and the wife.

After a test drive (brand new '06, 84 miles on it, ABS, no ESA), I have a few questions:

1. Visibility is great with the mirrors, but they seemed to "flap" around quite a bit at highway speed. Has anyone done anything to stiffen them up? My RS mirrors are rock solid at high speeds.

2. Wheelie potential--I'm not a wheelie fan--how easy is it to accidentally get the nose up during hard acceleration??

3. How many paychecks will I have to sent to Pirate to get the mods done I need (clear lenses, LED taillight, billet torque arm, etc)..... 8-)

Since it will be a single rider bike I'm thinking of passing on the ESA, but opting for the ABS (you never know when something's gonna happen...)

I may be delusional in keeping the RS (will it collect dust after a few months??), but for now I like it too much to part with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 3:07 am

In answer to 1. I've never noticed my mirrors "flapping around" - the clarity of the rear view is very good - far better than any other bike I've owned.

On 2. I would have thought that you would have to work hard to accidentally wheelie the bike.

On 3. that's between you and your bank manager.

Mine's a single rider bike but I got the ESA as well as the ABS simply for the fact that on any given journey in my neck of the woods I'll encounter wide;y varying road surfaces. I find it works well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 7:37 am

it is a little hard to lift it up in a wheelie. in first you can throttle it up but have to rock it a little but with the clutch it goes right up. just started messing around with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 8:16 am

My mirrors flap a bit too.

With the long wheelbase, it makes it difficult to wheelie, but it can be done.

Between the Pirate and Ken/Evoluzione, my checking accounts never been worse off!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkr
it is a little hard to lift it up in a wheelie. in first you can throttle it up but have to rock it a little but with the clutch it goes right up. just started messing around with it

Thanks for the info--coming from the RS (which is pretty much impossible to get the nose up on), I don't want to punch it and make a 17K "whoops" by flipping the bike out from under me.....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
My mirrors flap a bit too.

With the long wheelbase, it makes it difficult to wheelie, but it can be done.

Between the Pirate and Ken/Evoluzione, my checking accounts never been worse off!

I'm puzzled by the mirrors--it kind of "cheapens" the bike. They seem like they would tear off above 150.........
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 2:19 pm
DSS

I'm on my second K1200S.

The 05 was squirrely and unsettling. It was sold. The second owner sold it as well.

The 06 is very different. However, after getting a BMW software recall update it ceased running. Completely. BMW in Germany and New Jersey have not been able to find or fix the problem.

A new computer was installed and still no cure.

The K1200S is down and, so far, no one at BME can find a fix.

My bet is this will continue to happen as bikes come in for service.

Unfortunately this may occur after some bikes are out of warranty. In this case the rider pays. Up to this point the dealer, along with BMW has spent several thousand in parts and labor.

This is not an isolated incident.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode