First time at the track - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 6:55 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

First time at the track

I'm taking my k1200s to a NESBA track day on June 4th. I will be in the beginner class. What should be done to the bike before I go. I will be riding the bike to and from the track. I already have a new set of M1 tires that I will mount one week before the date.

Can the mirrors and turn signals be easily removed or is tape covering the lens and glass O.K.?

Should I safety wire the drain plug, oil filter ect.?

I already know how to turn off the headlamp, do I disconnect the taillamp or just tape over?

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 7:35 pm
Veteran

If you have signed up for track days with any certified organization they should have furnished you with a list of requirements. Have you checked their website??

I'm NOT familiar with NESBA but have done quite a few track days... Most allow you to simply tape up your mirrors rather than remove them, however.. as the S mirrors are so easy to remove.. I'd take a few minutes and do it once you reach the track.. Takes about 5 minutes as I recall..

On the rear you'll be OK just to tape off the plastic. Make sure AFTER you tape off the tail light you start the bike and have somebody stand behind you to make sure no light is visible. I usually remove the bulbs on my MV front and rear just to make sure.

In the beginner class you probably won't have to change to water water OR safety wire anything, but... you should make a call to the organization and find out BEFORE you show up. Your first track days are intense enough without being blindsided by a lot of unknown requirements on the day of your ride..

Safety wiring your oil filter and drain plug is ALWAYS a good idea for track days.. If YOU spew oil or antifreeze all over the track you ruin EVERYONE's day.. Not good.

If you have a centerstand on it.. remove it..

Scuff in the tires BEFORE you hit the track..

Show up with a full tank of gas and/or a container with a few gallons. Some facilities do NOT have gas pumps.. some do.

Bring plenty of snacks and liquids... You'll sweat a lot.

Post your trip report when you get back!! and pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblanchard
I'm taking my k1200s to a NESBA track day on June 4th. I will be in the beginner class. What should be done to the bike before I go. I will be riding the bike to and from the track. I already have a new set of M1 tires that I will mount one week before the date.

Can the mirrors and turn signals be easily removed or is tape covering the lens and glass O.K.?

Should I safety wire the drain plug, oil filter ect.?

I already know how to turn off the headlamp, do I disconnect the taillamp or just tape over?

Any other suggestions?

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 8:02 pm
BCC

NESBA is a great organization and I'm sure you'll have a good time. At the beginner level, you just have to tape over your lenses and disconnect the head & tail lights. Some guys just tape over their brake light without disconnecting it, but it's disconcerting following someone who does.

Tip: Use Honda cleaner/wax spray before you put on tape or nesba stickers and they'll come off the bike easily at the end of the day.

I rode my sportbike to the track the first time I did a trackday and then bought a trailer. And then converted the bike to a trackbike. And then bought a streetbike. Addictive.

As Pirate says, plenty of liquids and snacks.

I think if your tank is full at the start, it should last the day at the beginner level. Since you're riding there, I'm sure someone will help you out if you run low at the track.

The beginner level at NESBA is usually busy in the morning and thins out after lunch. Practice your line and being smooth in the morning and speed will come later in the day.

And stop when you're tired.

You will have so much fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 12:39 pm

I did the same thing a year ago (3 times actually) You shouldn't need to safety wire
anything and i didn't even turn my h/l off when i went. Don't worry about the centerstand,
I had no issues with mine but then again I never dragged anything. I suspect the centerstand
will be the first to drag... I left my mirrors on but i wrapped tape around the whole
stalk. I would tape over just the mirror and t/s cuz mine started flapping in the breeze.
You need to tape over your plate and reflectors too.

Bring some extra changes of underwear/t shirts and change them after each session
to keep sweat from chafing you, let the used ones air dry. I wore a bathing suit underneath
my leathers. Lastly, unless you know someone there bring a lawn chair or something to sit on.

If this is your first time prepare for the adrenalin rush involved. I was shaking badly
after each session on my first day and it was noticeable. It's a bit unnerving to fly by people at 150 +

Don't push it in the corners, its fast enough on the straights stopping and going
to pass most of the opposition.

hth!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 8:31 pm

here is NESBA's rider manual which explains all requirements - have fun

http://www.nesba.com/Info/downloads/manual.pdf
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 9:10 pm
Enthusiast

some sage advise

+1 on every thing said.... and I add this. Riding when it gets to its highest level is 90% brain. In the begining we are all way less than that. ALWAYS look were you want to go. Start practicing that NOW if you don't already practice that. I VERY HIGHLY recommend you exercise at least 30 mins a day 3 days a week minimum. Cardio....w/ Heartrate at least to the 70% limit of your age group. Lots of info about this on the web.

I rode for 20+ yrs. Never exercised, no schoolin. Moved to the mountains, wondered why women 15 yrs older than me could leave me for dead. They exercised, had good tires, good shocks, and got some schoolin' After I got to where I could swim for 30 minutes, took a track day school....motorcycling took a quantum leap forward in fun & safety.

Leave the testoterone at home ( as for thinking you have to be the best). Think about every thing they say & internalize it. READ all the books you can find about motorcycling like stuff by keith Code etc. Understand what you read. Give it 110%. When track day/ school comes..... you will be grinning from ear to ear. OH one other thing. EXERCISE ( if you don't) ....specially if you work indoors at a desk!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 7:38 pm

check your tire pressures: I had good performance running both at 32 psi. Good point on the underwear thing...I use BMW undergarments that whisk away moisture, full perforated Vansons over them. Also the blue painter's tape works great for covering mirrors and lights, leves no residue and is easy to peel off. The only other thing I can add is don't worry about speed, make a conscious effort to slow down somewhat, at least at first, and work on technique, speed will follow. Slow is fast...especially on the tighter turns. Those are the ones that always seem to kick my ass because you love to haul ass, your adrenalines pumpin', but ya have make a real effort otherwise you're caring too much speed thru the turn and you screwed up the next few because of it. Have fun!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 9:28 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Red face

Thanks for all the replys. I have read and understand the NESBA riders guides. I'm going to take off the turn signals and mirrors tomorow so that I take the nessary tools to the track day. I have been reading a few books: Lee Parks's Total Control and A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. Riding gear is in good shape, I'll need to remember the wicking underwear.

I know how fast this bike is, what I'm really looking forward to is smooth corners without sand, gravel, or mud.

The greatest thing about the day is that my wife is taking her r1150 gs Adverture to the track with me. She's a MSF instructor and I must say, A faster rider then myself. If I see her draging those big jugs on the tarmac, I know we'll be having great lap times.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 12:14 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for all the replys. I have read and understand the NESBA riders guides. I'm going to take off the turn signals and mirrors tomorow so that I take the nessary tools to the track day. I have been reading a few books: Lee Parks's Total Control and A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. Riding gear is in good shape, I'll need to remember the wicking underwear.

I know how fast this bike is, what I'm really looking forward to is smooth corners without sand, gravel, or mud.

The greatest thing about the day is that my wife is taking her r1150 gs Adverture to the track with me. She's a MSF instructor and I must say, A faster rider then myself. If I see her draging those big jugs on the tarmac, I know we'll be having great lap times.
LUCKY MAN.....a wife that rides & rides well...lucky man for sure
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 2:57 am
Rookie

Quote:
If I see her dragging those big jugs on the tarmac, I know we'll be having great lap times.
I really didn't need that visual!

KeS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode