LED Brake light and wiring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2017, 10:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question LED Brake light and wiring

So I bought a CANBUS ready brake light, plugged it in, and it started flashing and not really performing as advertised... did some research, figured my bulb wasn't good enough to trick the canbus, so I bought a heatsink/resistor to put in line. While trying to figure out which wire out of the 3 wires going into the brake light, I noticed that it worked just fine if I pulled off one of the wires.... WTF?

brown wire was power, and then there's 2 striped wires going into the plug. Pulling one off, and neither brake control triggers the light... pulling the other one off, and everything works fine....

AND NO LAMPR!! alerts!!! What in the world am I missing? tracing the wires doesn't answer my question based on the one image I was looking at... (probably the wrong year but close enough http://linkinx.com/wp-content/upload...-schematic.jpg )

anyone play with the wiring of the brake lights before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 3:51 pm
Noob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldSanitation View Post
So I bought a CANBUS ready brake light, plugged it in, and it started flashing and not really performing as advertised... did some research, figured my bulb wasn't good enough to trick the canbus, so I bought a heatsink/resistor to put in line. While trying to figure out which wire out of the 3 wires going into the brake light, I noticed that it worked just fine if I pulled off one of the wires.... WTF?

brown wire was power, and then there's 2 striped wires going into the plug. Pulling one off, and neither brake control triggers the light... pulling the other one off, and everything works fine....

AND NO LAMPR!! alerts!!! What in the world am I missing? tracing the wires doesn't answer my question based on the one image I was looking at... (probably the wrong year but close enough http://linkinx.com/wp-content/upload...-schematic.jpg )

anyone play with the wiring of the brake lights before?

Sorry about your troubles.

I hooked up Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal when I got my '07 K1200GT and have never looked back!

Just followed the included installation instructions..

One of the LED modules failed (after 9 years) and they are sent me 2 new ones under warranty!!

Now that's service!!

2007 Blue K1200GT 3dr Beemer
1993 Red K1100LT 2nd Beemer
1985 Blue K100RT 1st Beemer

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/misc.p...g=0&forumid=0#

Last edited by a-red-beemer; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:07 pm.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2017, 8:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-red-beemer View Post
Sorry about your troubles.

I hooked up Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal when I got my '07 K1200GT and have never looked back!
Just followed the included installation instructions..
One of the LED modules failed (after 9 years) and they are sent me 2 new ones under warranty!!
Now that's service!!

NICE! I finally gave up and put the incandescent back in... I loved the brighter lights, but after a week, the LAMPR warning came back and the difference in lighting levels was not different enough for my wife who follows in a staggered config with me. I may need to check out the hyperlights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode