2005 K1200S - would I buying trouble? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2017, 12:04 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2005 K1200S - would I buying trouble?

Hi all

Newbie and potential K1200S buyer here.

I've just been to see a 2005 K1200S. It was lovely. Immaculate condition. Full BMW service history. 24,000 miles.

It's for sale at the right price too. I'm very tempted.

BUT I've read lots of horror stories about big problems with these bikes. My concerns are:
(1) Can chain issues. Having checked with the BMW dealer this bike never had the preventative fix that In understand some dealers did offer. It will cost 130 to have that done now. Equally, there were no undue noises or rattles on start up.
(2) ABS problems. I've read all the horror stories and the idea of being suddenly left with residual braking terrifies me. What really worries me is that even with the engine running in neutral the "brake failure" light was flashing away. The seller said that the warning light disappears as soon as you ride off, but it didn't look right to me.

So would I just be buying myself a big liability if I went with this bike? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Any guidance appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2017, 1:31 pm
Noob

I'm in the same position, scratching my head about a 2005.

Regarding the ABS. I own two BMW's of a similar era, and both of them leave the ABS light on until it does a quick self-test once the bike is moving.

Doug
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 8:05 pm
Noob

Hi.
Recent 2005K owner myself.
The ABS light goes off as soon as you drive off. My R1100S was same.
I'm using 98 gas all the time if I can. Here in Canada most bikes fuel up at Chevron for that reason.
This bike DOES NOT LIKE TO GO SLOW!!!!!!!!
It farts and waffles and burps all the time, especially if moving through stop and go traffic. Doesn't like it period.
Gert on an onramp and open it up and it is happy.
Still figuring out other issues. I hope it all works out because I like a lot of things about it.

Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2017, 7:36 am
Noob

I just bought an 07 with less than 3000miles on the ticker. An 05 with less than 50k on the ticker is gently ridden, I say go for it. The brake light blinking DOES go away after driving away on it. you could ride in a circle or go to the end of the street and it will be gone.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2017, 2:56 pm
Noob

Nice to hear, I've just taken the plunge with an 06 with 20k on the clock, and again immaculate condition, dealer history plus a print out showing that the recalls and re-map flash updates have been done. Danger on any forums is that they usually focus on issues as this is where owners try to find answers.

Can't imagine it'll be as problematic as my Aprilias... which I still love with their little 'quirks'... Or my old Honda Blackbird which was a real pain (the only bike I've ever grown to loathe!)... I find most problems are fixed with a bit of common sense and patience... I like my motorcycle maintenance

Looking forward to my time with the new toy.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 8:22 pm
Noob

I'll chime in here.

I purchased my 2005 K1200s w/35,000 miles on it for $4500. It currently has 37,500. There is a little chatter from the timing chain on start up, but it goes away. I always use Non-ETH fuel. 91 octane or higher. Not so great MPG. I think less than 200 miles per tank.

I'm 6'2 and I am happy riding a 500 mile day on it.

NEVER any issues.

I have had it up to 160 mph. That's ~ 7500 rpm in 5th gear. YIKES, (but it was butter smooth).

Just changed the oil - filter - low beam bulb - and I've spent less than $80. I haven't changed the air yet.

If you do your due diligence and research records for the bike i.e.. call a local BMW dealer and let them know the VIN, you can get an idea of how well it was serviced and if any warrantees/recalls are up.

I think they are the best value out there for a used bike.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2018, 4:20 am

Garage
I've been on my '08 K-1200-S for some time now. Love the bike and have huge amounts of work and money in it but I am sick to death of the damn gas strip mess. I understand they fixed that with the 1300.

The 1200 clutch baskets are also riddled with issues. (Beemer's first shot at a multi-plate arrangement). They did a number of fixes with the 1300 there too.

Probably my next Beemer will be a K 1300 or something different.

What the development of the bike pretty much worked out to be: 1200 was the base of the learning curve. 1300 was the termination of the curve. 1600 is just silly competition with an equally silly motorcycle; the Honda (doorless car) Goldwing. If you need that much motorcycle, you belong in pink Lexus with your clipped French Poodle in the back seat.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2018, 7:39 pm
Addict

I owned an 05 had some issues with it and would not have another one. There were hundred of changes made on the k1300s/r. Many included the motor which numerous tossed rods and the power ABS BRAKES were and issue. There were a number of issues with the 13 to but these were resolved over time.

If you like the bike get a K13. When the K12 were finished production BMW dumped the one left in their inventory on the market and that sucked me, selling my K12.

I still have really nice Euro fuel injector ECU That I removed when I sold it.

James
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2018, 11:58 pm
Noob

I picked up a 2005 K12s in 2017 for $4300. 2 owners/35,000miles. sight unseen.

Not a single issue. Beautiful bike - I put 5,000 miles on it and recently sold it..for $4000. It needed a new front tire.

I rode it reasonably hard, 120mph was common place on hwy 6/50 between Grand Junction and Paonia, CO. 165mph in 5th gear was as far as I had the balls to take it. The rest of the time it was doing the west elk loop and the silver thread. Great bike for Western Colorado

One thing I wasn't happy about; Gas Mileage, I only wish it was a bit better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturday ride 133.jpg (1.50 MB, 51 views)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 12:27 am
Noob

I bought a 2005 K1200s in 2011 with 11K miles on it for $7k at the time.

I've ridden it pretty hard since then and never had a problem and just did regular maintenance and the bike has been rock solid.

Last year I wasn't using it much and some mice got into it and munched a bunch of wiring. I got the local shop to fix all the wiring and it seemed to be going great, but in hindsight, I also probably should have gotten a major service done.

Last week the bike threw a rod through the crank case. No warning of any impending problem. Just BANG

Now trying to see if I can resurect the bike through an engine swap or rebuild.

Peter K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode