Air intake tube ducts missing?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2017, 2:03 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Air intake tube ducts missing??

I just purchased my second 2005 K1200S after moving from K1200GT. I noticed that both right and left air intake tube ducts are missing. Does this affect the bike since there is no duct to direct the air into the filters and air box? I believe this can also allow more first to the filters. How easy is it to buy these online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2017, 8:52 pm
Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by petar View Post
I just purchased my second 2005 K1200S after moving from K1200GT. I noticed that both right and left air intake tube ducts are missing. Does this affect the bike since there is no duct to direct the air into the filters and air box? I believe this can also allow more first to the filters. How easy is it to buy these online?
The previous owner have installed an aftermarket air filter .
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2017, 8:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

yes he has K&N I believe as I can see the mesh in front. Does that mean the aftermarket filters do not fit with the snorkelling tubes? I am concerned that more dirt and crap will enter the filter and believe that with tubes/snorkels the air is better directed into the air box. it wouldn't be there in the first place if it does not serve the purpose I believe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 6:31 pm
Rookie

I have mine installed 10 years ago. Have no issues with dirt... Bike has 30k mikes & still love the sound of the intake...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2017, 1:13 am
Rookie

I have seen several posts on sports bike forums where people remove the tubes to get the "cool" induction sound that is caused by not having the tubes.
It wont make a big difference to how your bike runs, but it does make a lot of noise.
It will sound quite different with the ram tubes on. You should be able to get some through a wrecker or on ebay.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2018, 7:27 pm
Noob

When I bought my 07 K1200s a couple of years ago, the previous owner also took off the intake horns. There is a special aluminum bracket that holds the filters in place. I, personally do not like the extra intake noise (I know a lot of people do). I sourced two used intake horns on ebay for around $80. I took the metal brackets off, installed stock airfilters and re-fitted the intake horns. It worked great. As stated in an earlier post, the performance was no different (at least I did not notice any) but I love the quiet!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2018, 6:13 am

Garage
Yes, get a set of intake horns for that puppy. It's ridiculous piling all that filth on your air cleaners just for some silly noise. The increased dirt, rocks and Christ knows what else coming off the front wheel up into the intakes with no runners has to be 10 times what comes in the clean air from the front.

The stock horns fit over the K&Ns just fine. I've had my K&Ns for 4 years now. I do the cleaning and oiling treatment ever winter.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2018, 9:35 pm
Addict

Once there was the beleif that those tubes were too small. Another company sold race air filters and recommended that the tubes be remove. If fact I had these filters and had removed the snorkles from my bike. The company I forgotten there name had other high performance. So I would not worry about the missing tubes since their air flow is not that great.

James
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2018, 12:21 pm
Noob

These snorkels were arranged to produce a Ram Air effect but like all such passive intake arrangements, were effective at high vehicle speed and high engine speed...Near useless at legal speeds and normal engine RPM. So barring Bonneville type runs...

Of course, the inlet end of the snorkel was drawing from the relative clean air source, uneffected by water or mud slung from the front wheel and only minimally effected by heat from the radiator or engine. My own belief would be that without them, the air through the filters would tend to be pretty warm, especially on an idling bike when the radiator fan was running...

Note also that the S-Model came with (2) snorkels and (2) filters; which would produce half the air speed on either snorkel for a given engine speed. Result should be 25% of the Ram Air effect and also 25% of the single-filter pressure loss: the latter of which is effected by air speed alone.

In either case, I would have some concern about how water was applied when washing the bike, even with a drain connection on the air box.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 7:58 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewilson View Post
Once there was the beleif that those tubes were too small. Another company sold race air filters and recommended that the tubes be remove. If fact I had these filters and had removed the snorkles from my bike. The company I forgotten there name had other high performance. So I would not worry about the missing tubes since their air flow is not that great.

James
I believe the performance company was "Evoluzione" that fitted the filters in billet aluminum frames. It looks like they are no longer in business. The previous owner of my 2008 K1200S installed these filters and deleted the snorkels. I had no idea until doing the routine maintenance this year. I always thought the bike sounded great, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Edit* Also, my filters don't look bad after about 12,000 miles.

Last edited by bcartk12s; Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:17 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode