Extended Light Cover for LEDs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2017, 5:30 am Thread Starter
Noob

Extended Light Cover for LEDs

Thought I might share this idea if anyone else is having the same issue with LED lights fitting in the stock covers

Made a 3D printed extended light cover for the LED's that stick out too far to fit under the stock cover. This was just an FDM printed version in grey to check fit.
Making UV resin printed version in black for final.
The LED's fit inside the standard covers on the high beam lights so didn't bother changing those.

I'm trialing the passive cooling LED's (shown in second pic) at the moment. these were cheap 79$ eBay ("Green Light") options - measured ~160% brighter than the standard halogen. they claimed '12000lumen' but that was obviously a total joke. estimate them to be around 1700lumen. no lamp error warning.

Temps on the cooling braid were around 45C. not sure how long they will last yet.

There were some 99$ fan cooled LED's I trialled prior to these - they were only as bright as the stock bulb and gave the Lamp out error warning on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171114_210750.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	22369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171114_211741.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	22377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Garage
Look's great. How much would you like to make one and ship it to sweden?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2017, 2:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi Mattias, i wasn't really planning on selling them - i suppose i could if it the resin prints turn out nice and professional looking. Need a few more weeks testing them in traffic first to make sure it doesn't melt or do something crazy. I'll post again later when I know its all good. I can upload the STL file after next revision if you know someone with a printer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2017, 7:20 pm
Enthusiast

Very nicely done!

Jim
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncc View Post
Hi Mattias, i wasn't really planning on selling them - i suppose i could if it the resin prints turn out nice and professional looking. Need a few more weeks testing them in traffic first to make sure it doesn't melt or do something crazy. I'll post again later when I know its all good. I can upload the STL file after next revision if you know someone with a printer.
Hi, that sounds great.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2017, 1:46 am
Rookie

Selling?

If you have the design as an STL file, you can upload it to shapeways.com and they will sell, manufacture and ship it for you.
You just decide how much you want and they add on the material and manufacture costs.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2018, 3:08 am

Garage
aaroncc, sent you a PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 5:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Well, FDM version melted after 200k's of traffic driving. glass transition temp is too low. I've got a black UV resin version on there at the moment that isn't melting yet. need another few hot summer days to confirm.

I'll post the STL on here when i'm back in front of my cad pc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDM Cover.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	862.0 KB
ID:	22865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180122_205919.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	22873  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 7:04 am

Garage
Hi aaroncc!

i never got any mail or link to the STL file. I hope everything is ok with you and that you just forgot.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2018, 5:53 am

Garage
What you are going to get even if they fit, is a bulb in a reflector it wasn't designed for; same as when people try sticking HID lights in a Halogen designed headlights.

If you want to get serious about headlight improvement, Go to an HID complete projector system. This will replace the stock reflector with a projector that matches the bulb. The light from these hummers is amazing; much farther reaching and wider, lighting the sides of the road where you always have deer jumping out of the bushes on the twisty mountain roads.

There is no heating issues with HIDs as they run cooler then the Halogen you are replacing and the dims are not as bright in the eyes of on-coming traffic so you won't be pissing the cage drivers off anymore. HIDs are also available in a wide range of light color from yellow just like a Halogen to white, light blue, blue or into purple. I run whites because they are the best for vision and they don't piss people off. The public has become wary of colored lights because so many kids that couldn't afford a decent setup are running around blinding people with their cheap ass Chinese bulb conversions.

The dimmers on an HID don't even work with 2 elements like conventional bulbs. They work with a shade that flips down to cut half the light out. Anything else is blinding on-coming traffic. Go look at a complete setup and it will all become clear. It is a fantastic light. The only reason LEDs are being used is when installed in a computerized system like BMW cars are now developing, the light beam is manipulated to block light to the windshield only of on-coming vehicles and the section of blocking shadow actually moves with the other vehicle as it passes you. They are also directing beams around curves. They can't "segment" an HID beam to do that but LEDs lend themselves to this technology and that is the only reason LEDs have a future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode