Convince me not to buy a Triumph Sprint ST! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 6:53 am Thread Starter

Convince me not to buy a Triumph Sprint ST!

1 year ago I sold my K1200RS and bought an Aprilia RSV1000R Factory. I wanted to try the dark side for a while...

However, after 1 year I have returned to the ST community and am looking to replace my Aprilia with a new SportsTourer, though one a little more sporty than my old RS.

I want to be able to have fun in the twisties, commute to work, and zoom off for the odd weekend with the wife on the back.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Sprint ST and the K12S. Could owners/testriders of these bike please debate the advantages/disadvantages of their bikes here so I can make up my mind?!

Thanks!

(oh, I almost forgot: I can afford the ST new but will have to get a low milage BMW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 7:59 am

K12S vs Sprint ST

Good Morning,
I don't know squat about the ST other than what I saw on the website but...
K12S
1. Shaft drive
2. more power
3. ABS brakes, although looks like they are available on the ST
4. heated grips
5. ESA as an option

I think the K12S is the best supersport touring package available. The ST looks to be a nice bike but out of it's league vs. the S. Riding them both is the only way to tell for sure which one is for you. Beemer dealers encourage test rides, and the local Triumph dealer will allow a test ride if you're serious aout the bike. Good luck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 10:23 am

I had the same thoughts when upgrading last year from a V-tec VFR. A Sprint or a K12S. Severe difficulties in arranging a testdrive on the ST and the fact that Triumph previous years had taken some flak from disgruntled owners concerning customer-service (in Sweden), steered my away from what appears to be a great bike.
Nothing could prepare me for the K12S though. This bike is one step up the evolutionary ladder. The ergonomics were simply spot on for me (186cm 85Kg). The shaftdrive, a magnificient engine and a very handy electronic suspension adjustment all pointed toward building a longterm relationship with it. Add a dealer network that seemed interested in its customers even after you signed the contract, made the choice a simple one for me.
There are ofcourse in retrospect some things that could be improved. Tank capacity, helmet windblast at sustained highspeed riding (and I do mean high) and roomier factorymade cases.

Regards/ HurbanX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 9:04 pm
Enthusiast

After having my K1200RS for a year I decided to add something a little sportier to the stable. I test rode a '05 Sprint ST and a 6th-gen VFR. I ended up with the VFR. The heat coming off the Sprint's radiator and too-soft seat made me cross it off my list. After 1/2 hour I had enough of the Sprint's seat. The Sprint's suspension is much softer (like the KRS's) than the VFR's.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 11:51 pm

Talking hardy har har.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hass
1 year ago I sold my K1200RS and bought an Aprilia RSV1000R Factory. I wanted to try the dark side for a while...

However, after 1 year I have returned to the ST community and am looking to replace my Aprilia with a new SportsTourer, though one a little more sporty than my old RS.

I want to be able to have fun in the twisties, commute to work, and zoom off for the odd weekend with the wife on the back.

I have narrowed my choice down to the Sprint ST and the K12S. Could owners/testriders of these bike please debate the advantages/disadvantages of their bikes here so I can make up my mind?!

Thanks!

(oh, I almost forgot: I can afford the ST new but will have to get a low milage BMW)
MMMMMMMMMM......buy whatever you want dude....I'm convinced of that!

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2006, 7:49 pm
Statmaster

It looks like my wife is leaning toward the Triumph Sprint ST. Anyone have any alarm bells going off regarding a decision to go with the Sprint ST?

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2006, 1:51 am

Other than the heat issues with the ST, and they have a fix for it from the dealer, it's actually a pretty good bike. My riding buddy has an S and a Sprint St and loves both bikes.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2006, 7:23 am Thread Starter

I bought an S
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2006, 3:01 pm

congratulations !!

best choice ( of course ;-) )
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 3:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hass
I bought an S
congrats... I think you made the right choice. I had the same decision to make about a month ago. Basically, it came down to which is a better bike. If I went with the triumph, then I probably would have seconds thoughts about not getting the BMW. That isn't the case with getting the bmw, plus it is an overall better bike.

ONON-
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode