Handlebar Conversion - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2006, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Handlebar Conversion

Thinking About Converting To The Power Sportego Handlebar Conversion
Anyone Have Them On , Inpressions??????

They Sure Are Expensive But They Might Help Calm The Driver Down
I'm 5,10 And I Find That The Oem Bars Tend To Make Me Ride A Lot Above 100mph To Force Some Air To Keep Air Pressure On My Body And Lessens Weight On The Arms.
It Could Be A Great Solution For Long Time Touring On The Bike.

By Long Time I Mean 300 Mi.+ Day's!

Stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2006, 11:26 am

Wunderlich bars

I have them and they work very well. I also like the looks. I just returned from an 800 mile 2-up trip along Hwy. 1 in California. The bars worked great and kept me comfortable all day.

With regard to slowing you down, I doubt it. I have a Secdem tall windscreen and I still speed when my fiancee isn't on-board. I'm 6'-4" and don't have too many issues with the wind blast in the 110 MPH range.

I had them installed at BMW-Santa Cruz, where they sell the bars in the States. It took the mechanics 3+ hours to install them, so it isn't for the mechanically challenged, like me.

Good luck with your decision.

Keep a high visual horizon,
Bob
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:36 pm
Enthusiast

These things? http://tinyurl.com/z2c7v

How do they function? Any pics?

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

YES THESE ARE THE ONE'S
YOU CAN HAVE OTHER PIC'S ON THE SANTA CRUZ BMW

THE BARS ARE PULED BACK BY xxx MUCH AND RAISED BY WHO KNOW'S

STROKER
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2006, 1:25 pm
Just saying hey

Verholen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
I have them and they work very well. I also like the looks. I just returned from an 800 mile 2-up trip along Hwy. 1 in California. The bars worked great and kept me comfortable all day.

With regard to slowing you down, I doubt it. I have a Secdem tall windscreen and I still speed when my fiancee isn't on-board. I'm 6'-4" and don't have too many issues with the wind blast in the 110 MPH range.

I had them installed at BMW-Santa Cruz, where they sell the bars in the States. It took the mechanics 3+ hours to install them, so it isn't for the mechanically challenged, like me.

Good luck with your decision.
Did you look at the Verholen adjustable barbacks. It looks like the Wunderlich have more adjustment to them. On the Wunderlich site it says it comes w/ cable, but at same time I yhought it said uses stock cables. Could you fill me in on that?

Last edited by kepasa; May 29th, 2006 at 1:26 pm. Reason: sprlling error (site)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2006, 10:09 am

cables

Yeah I saw the Verholen things on a test bike at my local dealer, and I didn't like the looks.

The stock lines are used because they run to the base plate. Then two small braided lines that come with the kit are attached to the clutch and brake handlebar reservoirs.

These bars are much more adjustable forward and aft than the Verholen design.

Bob
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:49 am
Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Yeah I saw the Verholen things on a test bike at my local dealer, and I didn't like the looks.

The stock lines are used because they run to the base plate. Then two small braided lines that come with the kit are attached to the clutch and brake handlebar reservoirs.

These bars are much more adjustable forward and aft than the Verholen design.
Bob,
please explain how the new bars fit ergonomically...why you got them.... and how they helped your riding position. I am wondering if it would be worth flying to Santa Cruz ( from so louisiana) and seeing what they feel like. I wonder if santa cruz would let me buy a set then return if I was not happy with them. I hope to buy a k12R before summers end. I test road one at the dealer for about 2 hours. The seat to handle bar was not that bad...however if I could have straightened out about 2 inches back ( less leaned forward) that would be great...I think. I also like the fact that reading about the power bars, Wunderlich says they give better feel, flex less etc. In the video of the Mcar vs the K12R on the "ring", That bike appeared to have the Power bars.... any and all comments most appreciated!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 5:22 pm
Noob

Riding long?

Been riding 51 years, you got a ways to go yet. I presently have three great motorcycles, each with it's own character and personality, but I have got to say for sheer shit eatin grin factor, the K12S is the one.

84 R100CS Last Edition
04 R1100S
05 K1200S
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2006, 7:57 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerEifelFahrer
Been riding 51 years, you got a ways to go yet. I presently have three great motorcycles, each with it's own character and personality, but I have got to say for sheer shit eatin grin factor, the K12S is the one.

84 R100CS Last Edition
04 R1100S
05 K1200S

TRUE THAT ( ALL THAT) MY BROTHA!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2006, 9:14 am

Bars

Racegun,

The bars do move forward and back on a ratcheting design. As they move back, they are slanted downward. Also, the bars adjust like any "normal" set of bars, they rotate up and down.

Like I said, I'm 6-4, so they allow me to sit upright. This has helped me while I'm splitting traffic on the freeways every day going to work. I can see over the traffic better. I commute 50 miles a day in this horrible L.A. area traffic and I have noticed that I arrive at work much more relaxed.

The bars also made a multi-day 700 mile trip with my girlfriend much more comfortable, for her and me. Being upright, I make a good "barn-door" for her and she said the wind turbulence was better for her than with the stock bars. She didn't have to sit so close to me to avoid wind turbulence which made it more comfortable for both of us.

So, the bars have made the bike safer for me to use, in the sense that I can see better in heavy traffic and I'm less fatigued while riding it.

Be advised, that on the "R" bike, the bars are MORE expensive to have them installed than on the "S" bike according to Santa Cruz. Also, they did not have a bike with the bars installed, available for a test ride, at the time I purchased mine.

Good luck with your decision, they work great for me.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode