false fuel gauge - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2018, 8:59 am Thread Starter
Noob

false fuel gauge

I ran out of gas with three bars showing on my 2007 K12s. So I call the dealer and actually a warranty recall for a new fuel pump assembly was still active (how could I turn that down). My issue is that there is no reserve and I don't even get any warning or notification and again it happened after the repair. I do know how many miles I average per tank but I was tired and on my way home from work and didn't check.

Anyone else have this issue and any ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2018, 3:03 am

Garage
Everyone with a K 1200 has this problem sooner or later. It's because the Ethanol (Corn Alcohol) the gov. forced us into, eats the gas gauge stipe for lunch. They don't add Ethanol to their gas in Europe so it wasn't a problem until they sold K bikes in the US.

Start running Non Ethanol gas available from some gas stations. Find these on the "Pure Gas" Website. The dealers will continue to offer free fixes for some time to come but you need to start using your trip odometer to know where your gas is at. I have found that I get 150 - 200 miles from a fill up, depending on how hard I'm pushing it. Do your own calculations and stop for gas accordingly.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2018, 3:20 am

Garage
Just a side note; The Obama Admin's EPA was trying to get the God damned Ethanol garbage jumped up to 20 %. I want all of you to just contemplate what that would have done to your high compression, interference valve-train, hot running motorcycle engines. Yeah, I voted Trump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2018, 8:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks, makes sense. I occasionally use my sta-bil marine in the bike. I always use it in my bass boat, i'm going to start the same. High octane pure gas is the answer but not always close by. I do average 175 mp tank and I drive appx. 30 miles to and from work.

Appreciate the feedback. Dean
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2018, 2:01 pm

Garage
Just remember, gas stabilizing additives won't do a thing for the alcohol attacking the gauge stipe. Stabilizers are only intended to maintain ignitability and it just represents another variable in the mix. It is really just intended to be used for winter storage. I don't pour anything in the tank without a bunch of double checking.

A friend who was a fellow rider and worked at an auto parts store once insisted I try a new oil additive that was supposed to help with valve train wear I was dealing with trying to build really fast H-D CHs. My 67 CH immediately swallowed a valve.

That was the result of someone reading the Hell out of a bunch of articles about an automotive product and assumed it related in any way to motorcycles. When it comes to the back and forth slop between auto and motorcycle technology, you got to watch it like a hawk. I've noticed over the years that now as more and more riders can't work on their own bikes, the myths and bullshit that gets started between the two industries has gotten worst.

Tags
false fuel guage k12s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode