Brake/clutch lever copper sleeves? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 12:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Brake/clutch lever copper sleeves?

Anyone knows a source for the copper sleeves that go around the bolts that hold
the levers? Generic ones? I have found them online, and the dealer I guess could order them. 10 bucks a piece plus 10 for shipping, that is 30 bucks for a total of 1 dollar worth items, lol. This is the 1st bike I had that those sleeves are pressed in and not easily slide in and out. I managed to reinstall the one on the clutch after putting an aftermarket lever, but it is improssible to reinstall the spring with one person since it keeps the sleeve from lining up with the hole since it does not slide in but needs pressing. I managed to put it back in, but with out the spring, and is slightly damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 6:18 am

Garage
1 dollar worth of parts....you have no idea what copper cost and then machining on top. But just buy a few centimeters of solid copper rod or the more expensive tubing and then machine it. Let us now how much under 1 dollar you get.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 7:49 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_r View Post
1 dollar worth of parts....you have no idea what copper cost and then machining on top. But just buy a few centimeters of solid copper rod or the more expensive tubing and then machine it. Let us now how much under 1 dollar you get.
thanks for the idea. Copper waterline, provided it is a match in diameter, will be 20 bucks for 15 feet and not for a total of 8mm length. Some people... just ignore the post if it “upsets” you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 8:39 am

Garage
Waterpipe, it has the right diameter? ohh, did'nt think so. otherwise you would have bought it already.

Upsets me? no, just get irritated of people how know how much things should cost when they apperantly have no clue what it takes to make the part. But hey, here is a tip, buy a lathe and a big pile of copper or brass then make this things and sell them for 50 cents, if you are right about pricing you will be a millionaire.

Agree, some people.....

Ps, i own a lathe and basicly a machineshop (not in the business, privatly) and often, really often, practically everyday, meet this type of people.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 11:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

I really could not care less if you own a machine shop and what it costs YOU. As stated, 15 ft of copper line is 20 bucks, so there goes your argument about copper cost - yes, I know it is not cheap, BTW.
5mm - since you own a machine shop I am sure you know how tiny this is - of a copper sleeve that gets produced by the thousands, whatever...

"otherwise you would have bought it already"? Seriously? Now you have a crystal ball and know I have gone to the store and compared diameter and it did not fit? Read my post again, Key word "PROVIDED" meaning I have no idea if I will find one that fits, neither do I KNOW yet.

Last edited by Evangelos K; Jul 17th, 2018 at 11:27 am.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Garage
Yes that copper line is cheap as it is a drawn product produced in huuuuuge amounts, the part you need, well it is NOT produced in huge amounts, and it is not drawn, it is made to spec in a lathe.
That's why it cost 10 dollars. You need to buy a lathe and then look for material with enough thickness to be able to turn this thing, you will firstly find out you cant buy 2cm unless you buy scrap, otherwise it is fixed lenghts and minimum orders, then you machine it and find out that 50% or more of that material you paid for ended up on the floor as shavings.

But hey, lathes and that waste material are free right?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2018, 3:58 am
Rookie

I wonder how long they have been keeping those bushs waiting for someone to buy one?
I am pretty particular about levers. If the bush is damaged then get it fixed, or replace the whole lever.
If you don't want to buy one then someone will make you one, but if they charge less than $30 then they are doing you a favour.
You should be able to replace the bush and spring without a press. If you need a press to put it in, then how did it come out?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 8:36 pm
Noob

Those may actually be Oilite bronze bushings, possibly in metric sizes. I doubt they are plain copper
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 4:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
I wonder how long they have been keeping those bushs waiting for someone to buy one?
I am pretty particular about levers. If the bush is damaged then get it fixed, or replace the whole lever.
If you don't want to buy one then someone will make you one, but if they charge less than $30 then they are doing you a favour.
You should be able to replace the bush and spring without a press. If you need a press to put it in, then how did it come out?
Of course I will replace it, and already ordered 2, from the dealer, because chances are the brake lever sleeve will get damaged when I do it too.

They do not come out sliding, no way. Even with almost all the sleeve out, and a hair’s width left inside the bolt opening, they won’t come out. That’s how I damaged it, used a needle nose to pull the last bit out, it is so soft, it bent. I can do it if I had 3 hands. I managed to take it out using a Torx bit exactly the same diameter as the lip of the sleeve, tapping it out. It does come out undamaged; should have tapped it out all the way without using the needle nose. Now, it’s a different story going in, and having to keep pressure to the part that attaches to the lever lined up with the hole, with the spring pushing it out. I’ll utilize a friend when I get them.

The spring btw has no function with the aftermarket levers, but it does keep the lever from having a slight slack.

Last edited by Evangelos K; Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:46 pm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2018, 7:14 pm
Rookie

Yea - definitely not copper. Definitely metric.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode