High fuel consumption k1200s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2018, 4:49 am Thread Starter
Noob

High fuel consumption k1200s

New Member from Queensland Australia needing some advice.

Hi Folks good to be on board K-bikes after buying a 2007 K1200S recently with 34,000 km on the clock. The Beast runs great but is burning way too much fuel 10L / 100km, which seems like double the amount most of you are using for open Highway use (5L / 100km).

Previous owner had spark plugs and air filters changed @ 30,000km, I took the bike for computer hook up at BMW a few days ago and they reported no Fault codes or incorrect firing. Beast has an Akrapovic Silencer fitted which I am told increases fuel consumption (never had this problem on Jap bikes)........but 2x the normal amount ?????

Can anyone offer me some advice please or has anyone else experienced this for themselves ?

Thanks in advance from Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36912471_10209794488457610_7379297716301463552_n.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	23713  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 8:04 pm
Noob

When I first got my used 2001 K1200RS I was getting horrible mileage 23mpg. The region I live in the USA has lots of methanol use in the gas.
Getting "non-oxyginated" premium gas helped a bit.
But then, I changed the spark plugs, air intake filter and the 02 sensor, all at the same time.
That increased my gas mileage by a lot, now 34 to38mpg.
hunternsf likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 11:06 pm
Rookie

I have a 2005. When I first picked it up it had a power commander and I managed to get 13l/100km.
After removing the PC I get between 8 and 5 depending on how much fun I am having.
Lower grade fuel increases usage. Have you checked your air filters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 7:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelfloss View Post
When I first got my used 2001 K1200RS I was getting horrible mileage 23mpg. The region I live in the USA has lots of methanol use in the gas.
Getting "non-oxyginated" premium gas helped a bit.
But then, I changed the spark plugs, air intake filter and the 02 sensor, all at the same time.
That increased my gas mileage by a lot, now 34 to38mpg.
Menelfloss hi, thanks for replying bud, well previous owner had plugs and air filter changed (receipt was given to me on purchase), have ordered a new Bosch 15727 Universal O2 Sensor ......... but am really not sure if it's compatible with original BMW 7672785-02 sensor ???? So damn hard to get detailed info on these frigging things ! Have been using Premium high octane fuel which in Aussie is 98 RON.

Cheers and thanks from Marty
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 7:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
I have a 2005. When I first picked it up it had a power commander and I managed to get 13l/100km.
After removing the PC I get between 8 and 5 depending on how much fun I am having.
Lower grade fuel increases usage. Have you checked your air filters?
PC ? Mine does not have one, she runs rich on 98 Premium and at 10l / 100km it's expensive ! Yes Plugs and filters definitely done at 30,000km by previous owner, removed Mahle filters myself to examine.........yeah they are newish. Am eagerly awaiting new Bosch 15727 Universal O2 Sensor ......... but am really not sure if it's compatible with original BMW 7672785-02 sensor ???? So damn hard to get detailed info on these frigging things and BMW part prices are insane $$$$$, will slam it in and see what happens ?

Cheers from Marty
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2018, 12:40 pm
Noob

I really donít bother with ACTUAL MPG calculations for a long time now. 1st, I did not buy my bikes for MPG and even still, no matter what, they will be in the high 30ís anyway, better than a car. 2nd, what can I do, with both my bikes and cars anyway, sell them to get better ones on MPG? All I can do is make sure they run properly.

For what the trip computer is worth: city driving I get 36.7 MPG, all highway, itís very common to get 46 MPG, and thatís with having fun. Those readings are consistent too, like clockwork. I have seen 50 plus highway if I keep it at 70mph.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2018, 5:05 am
Noob

Hello fellow QLDer

I've got almost an identical bike, but with a laser exhaust. I've been given various advice about fuel, and unfortunately our standards for petrol are much lower than Europe and afaik the US too. But when fueling with 98 I've been told to stay away from shell and others where "performance" additives are included, rather stick with ones like caltex and BP. I've also been advised to try running 95 instead of 98 (by another k1200s rider), I've not yet verified if this affects performance and engine smoothness because my nearest servo doesn't have it and I've been too lazy to detour.

My consumption right now is around 6L/100k, I almost always run BP 98. I'm planning to go with Caltex 95 for a while though, see if anything changes with mileage/performance. I'd recommend giving a different fuel from a different servo a go and see what happens - as long as you don't put in that 91 catpiss :/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2018, 9:39 am
Noob

Is your bike stock?

I've got an '07 K12S with 28K miles and average high 30's (between 6 - 7 L/100km) MPG here in New England with stock plugs and air filters. If I reset the MPG while on the highway it'll average 45 MPG (roughly 5L/100km) until I get back to city driving.

It's got a Z-Technik full exhaust with a Rexxer tuned ECU. The bike idled like crap until I read on another thread suggesting adding octane booster.

Though I didn't buy the bike for mileage, I noticed a slight increase in mileage. The bike idles much better too.

If your bike's got an aftermarket exhaust, has the ECU been retuned, or has a PC been installed?

That's all I've got. Best of luck with your bike.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2018, 1:40 pm
Noob

The Bosh O2 sensor which has been working in my 2001 KRS since replacing the original in 2009 is Bosh 15727. The model number you have may be a newer one. Although it did not come with a plug and play connector, the four wire colors were the same as the original sensor. I used crimp connectors and shrink tube to make my splices. Good luck hope it works well for you.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2018, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation Odometer reading miles not km

Hey Folks,

Thanks to everyone for your input and help......now get a load of this :

I replaced the O2 sensor and saw an immediate improvement in both handling and fuel consumption. However there still appeared to be excessively high consumption, when out with a local motorcycle club a few days ago I mentioned during a stop how far we had travelled. Others corrected me stating we had gone further than my estimation.

Further riding and comparison proved that my bike is reading MILES not KM as on ODOMETER ???? WTF !!!!

Now BWM did a Certificate of Roadworthy for Queensland Transport Registration on 17/07/18, on the invoice it states beside doing a conclusive safety check they carried out a "SOFTWARE UPDATE"

Have searched for hours and cannot find any information regarding whether or not K1200S ODO's can be selected for Miles / KM ??? The Speedo is correct and accurate in KM ..... Anyway I guess she will have to go back into the dealership to be corrected.

Cheers and thanks from Marty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode