K1300s hp - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpaceViking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2018, 7:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1300s hp

I am thinking of buying a 2012 K1300S HP with about 8000 miles on it. Dealer tells me it’s in Excellent condition and he wants about $13K for it. Any thoughts, comments etc are greatly appreciated. By the way I’m a 67 year old man. Weigh about 270. Old fart. Thx. Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2018, 9:26 am

How good are your knees?

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Garage
I'm seeing low miles K 1300 S bikes for under $9000. You aren't getting that much more out of an HP to make it worth that much. You will always see dealers asking about $3000 more then anything is worth. That's why I don't buy motorcycles from dealers.

The previous post is making a good point. You had better have decent knees to ride a K Bike especially if you are over, say 5' 9". I am 71 years old and stand 6' 1". The only way I can get away with it is that I have always been athletic and don't suffer from arthritis.

Should you decide to give these bikes a shot and find you need to straighten you legs a little, you can lower the foot pegs and or get the higher seat.

I've been on my '08 K 1200 S for 8 years now and still love the bike. I have done the complete circle route of the US and travel between Seattle, Wash. and Las Cruses, New Mexico (1500 miles) to visit family regularly. Got about 50 K miles on the clock. I was disappointed to see the model discontinued and believe it was a mistake to drop a true Sport Touring bike with 30+ years of history for a copy of a Goldwing. The only reason they did it was because the K-40s were too close to the new S-Bikes market. I was even considering an S-Bike myself but will never go back to a chain driven bike again.
Evangelos K likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2018, 5:03 am
Noob

Garage
how are your wrists and neck?

I'm 5'10 and 64 years old. I decided to sell my K-1300S to my 5'5" step-son because I could never ride it any appreciable distance without my neck and wrist hurting. If I pushed it, I might be able to 300 miles down the road before tapping out. I had the pegs lowered and helibars installed which helped a little, but you are still bent over on the S, not as badly as a Busa or Triumph Daytona, but unless you can relax on the bike and not squeeze the throttle or use your wrists to support your upper body while braking, you are going to be miserable after a couple of hours of fun. I solved the problem by selling the bike and getting a K-1300GT. It is a little heavier, doesn't handle as well and definitely not as fast, but I am sitting with a lot less lean and it is plenty good for the streets. With the step-son being shorter, the S is the perfect bike for him, he is sitting more upright and can ride forever.

Last edited by Raymond Acosta; Aug 12th, 2018 at 5:07 am. Reason: last sentence
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 11:12 am
Noob

Garage
Hi,
I'm 61 and 6'-1" with a 33'" inseam, I have an 06 k1200s; after installing helibars I feel less cramped but I am considering lowering the pegs as well. I purchased a Sergeant seat off eBay (unbeknownst to me) had been modified for taller riders which put me on top of the bike as opposed to more in the bike as with the stock seat. I sent the seat to Sergeant and they corrected it to a standard seat which is perfect for me. I actually like the stock seat, but for, the downward (jewel-crushing) into the tank design. Going down steep inclines made for less than comfortable ride without squeezing the hell out of the bodywork. I work at staying in good shape which also helps. The thing that sold me on the bike was it's balance and it felt so much lighter than it is. I do think long legged folks will feel cramped on this bike without mods.

I think the price is rather high for a seven soon to be eight year old bike. A great bike to be sure if it fits you well or can be modded to fit you well; otherwise, you might consider the GT.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2019, 10:09 pm
Noob

I'll weigh in here (pun intended) that I'm six foot six and a fraction, 280 lbs (more when fully geared to ride) and I don't have position problems. I'm also just 66 yo.

All that aside, your riding position satisfaction will depend on your tolerance and flexibility.

The seller is out of his tree with that price. Go on cycletrader.com, 2010 K1300GTs are in the $7000 to $8000 range, discounting outliers. I would not pay more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in