KS for touring... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2006, 8:17 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

KS for touring...

I ride a CapoNord, from long distances to twisties, 2up, loaded mostly with wifey's stuff, etc.
I am 6-2 240# and combined with wife, gear and luggage we can reach about 460 on long trips. Short trips always more than 430#.

I have over 22k absolutely trouble free miles. We just moved to Texas, long distances, 12 months of riding season. Here in Hill Country we have great riding. We already rode to the Big Bend, 1500 miles in 3 days.

Eventual I am thinking of a future replacement for my Capo. How good is the K12S for 2up, long distances and twisties?? I know it can run fast on a straight line... Any suggestion other than the GS??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2006, 10:39 pm
Addict

Well, it's not as big and roomy as the Capo. But it'll sure be more fun in the twisties. I just traded my 04 Factory for a KS and don't regret it at all. Haven't ridden it two up yet so can't comment on the pillion comfort.

But otherwise; how about an RT? Either the new R1200RT or if (like me) you don't like the looks of the new one a nice R1150RT. The motor is a dream, it's light and agile (much more than you would believe from the size) and has full tourng comfort.

Ride safe
/hass

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain
"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:05 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Hass, thanks for your reply. So far it seems that people around here do not have experience with riding the KS 2up on long trips.
For the time being the Capo will be difficult to beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 8:50 pm
Noob

When my wife and I were on a weekend ride with our K12S' (we each have one), mine broke down and we had to 2up to get back. 3 hours altogether. Wife said it wasn't bad, but no where near as comfy as my previous R1100RT. For a short ride it would be okay, but never for 2up touring. I would opt for the K12GT.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 5:25 pm
Enthusiast

Two-up on the S

I went on a 2,400 mile ride with son in August last year. We spent 8 days on the road and had a blast. Yes, I wish the S had cruise like my old K1200GT, but Throttlemeister is an acceptable substitute. I also changed the stock windshield with the Vario S from Pirate, and my son said that made a big difference. He said there was a little more seat room on the KGT, and of course it had a luggage rack. That said, I loved the S. If I had both bikes, I'd STILL tour on the S over the GT. The power, handling and performance is unbeatable. We found if you wear Coolmax, you've got plenty of room in the panniers for what you need. The coolmax washes easily in the motel sink and dries overnight.

LAR Six
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2006, 2:13 am

Touring K12S

I use my S for touring, but it's solo. I wouldn't want to sit on the back for very long. For 2-up sporty touring the GT is a better choice. If you like twins, the GS, RT, and ST are all very capable tourers w/ hard luggage either standard or available. They are all really nice bikes, and the dealers do offer test rides. Pick your poison.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode