6.0 causing backfires! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 7:12 am Thread Starter

6.0 causing backfires!

I'm going against the crowd here and saying that 6.0 did nothing to improve
my slow speed throttle condition and now causes my bike to backfire.

I have the Laser Duo-tech Slip-on along with Evoluzione Race Filters.

I've done the ECU reset to no avail.

Question - why is it that just about every slip-on muffler I've ever installed
requires a richer fuel setting via jet kit or power commander, yet for this bike,
the aftermarket exhaust companies say the pipes work on a stock bike?
Please explain?

I cannot live with the popping, so I'm looking for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 9:14 am

I am also experiencing the increased "popping" on deceleration with a similiar set-up (LeoVince w/race filters). While I don't mind it, I wonder if a bike with a stock pipe and filter set-up has any similiar issues after the upgrade to 6.0?

Last edited by MaineRoads; May 30th, 2006 at 9:16 am. Reason: edit
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 9:31 am Thread Starter

MaineRoads,

The more aggressive I ride (e.g. 5-8k rpm's), combined with uphill/downhill sections,the more popping...it's unacceptable to me to live with it.

Either I get the fuel mapping right, or the KS goes up for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 9:54 am
Rider Journeyman

Backfire..

I've had release 6.0, Evolucione air box modification and a Remus CF slip-on for awhile now. I have reset the ECU and the throttle positioning sensor and have noticed the following:

Constant low speed maneuvering (throttle "snatchiness") is about the same. I'm used to it and don't find it "snatchy" anymore.

Upshifts under full, and mostly full, throttle have an acceleration "delay" of about 1/2 a second and then acceleration picks up in earnest again. It is as though the person who "mapped" the chip wanted to make sure that after an up-shift the acceleration was not so abrupt as to bring the front the front wheel off the ground...unexpectedly. For me, I don't think I like the new mapping and I may go to a power commander to maximize performance.

When at high rpm and them going off-throttle there is some "rumbling" backfire. At times, it will sound like a Formula 1 engine. It's not very loud, but is definitely there. I will admit to secretly (at least before this post) thinking it's kind of cool sounding.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
For me, I don't think I like the new mapping and I may go to a power commander to maximize performance. .
Is there a "Power Commander" currently available for the K1200S? I was under the impression they hadn't developed one yet and I don't see one for the K1200S on their web site.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 10:28 am

Angry Exact same setup, but....

I have the same Laser and race filters and the decel popping. But, to me, the low speed hunting IS improved and the high rev. accel has gone from good to fantastic.

I am, as far as I can tell, I'm, the ONLY one to ever report running his bike sans filters and sans silencer. You want WOW? Try this sometime if you want a seat-of-the- pants understanding of what the engine is really capable of. However, the throttle response is very scary (to me at least) and difficult to control in 1st & 2nd because the throttle acts more like a toggle switch. I can now understand BMW's attempt to allow some slight delay in throttle... Not being an expert, I almost lost it a couple of times when I came off the throttle a bit to fast and opened it a bit too much - instant, and I mean INSTANT too much power..

Also, the "other" forum has long discussions about power commanders not being usable, EVER, unless you hire a very good dino operator to do the programing for your particular bike. Right now there is only one guy listed and he is in Southern California.

I don't exactly understand the complaints because this bike is a compromise between speed, stability and comfort. I cannot find another bike whose particular compromises fit me better. I would like it to be perfect, but it only "perfect" above about 60 mph to about 120 mph. This high(ish) speed "perfection" is why I keep the bike.

Good luck, but I think getting everything to your complete satisfaction is a life long hunt and in a street legal bike, its only possible to get a set of compromises that each individual has to live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
I'm going against the crowd here and saying that 6.0 did nothing to improve
my slow speed throttle condition and now causes my bike to backfire.

I have the Laser Duo-tech Slip-on along with Evoluzione Race Filters.

I've done the ECU reset to no avail.

Question - why is it that just about every slip-on muffler I've ever installed
requires a richer fuel setting via jet kit or power commander, yet for this bike,
the aftermarket exhaust companies say the pipes work on a stock bike?
Please explain?

I cannot live with the popping, so I'm looking for suggestions.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Personally I'm through making excuses for the bike. It should be perfect - no
stuttering, no backfiring, no if's, ands, butts. I can live with the clunky gearbox, but the engine and fuel management should be spot on.

If I wanted backfiring and stumbling, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A HARLEY!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Sportrider, I also notice an increase in popping and backfire after coming off the throttle on higher rpms. Would putting the stock pipe and filters back on resolve the problem? I'm thinking the mapping is not set-up for the aftermarket set-up and is not "readjusting" to the change. Has anyone gone back to stock to check this out?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

I suspect the guys that are running stock exhaust are hearing a subdued version of the burbling/farting/backfiring. When we increase the "flow" for the exhaust, there needs to be a corresponding increase in fuel. Something these aftermarket
exhaust companies failed to mention. Problem is, there's not too many option's for us yet to adjust the fuel maps.

Disheartening at the least...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2006, 1:11 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
Is there a "Power Commander" currently available for the K1200S? I was under the impression they hadn't developed one yet and I don't see one for the K1200S on their web site.
Howdy Mark,

Thanks for the prompt; I sent an e-mail to DynoJet and asked about a Power Commander for the new K bikes (K-R, K-S and K-GT, their reply is below:

Sent:
Tuesday, May 30, 200612:13 PM
To:
Bill Turner
Subject: RE: BMW new K bike applications?

Bill,

We have looked into these models and unfortunately we will NOT be releasing a Power Commander at this time. Thanks for the inquiry.

Dustin Schaller

Powersports Technical Support Manager
Dynojet Research
800-992-4993
www.dynojet.com
www.powercommander.com

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode