Steering Damper Rebuild - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mattias_r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2019, 11:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Steering Damper Rebuild

Hello all,
I am interested in rebuilding the steering damper on my 2008 K1200S. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve looked at a few YouTube videos.
Can anyone suggest a source for an OEM specific rebuild kit? Don’t want to spend $475 for a few O-rings and 2oz. of oil.
Thanks
SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2019, 5:21 am
Rookie

Garage
I rebuilt the steering damper on m y old f800st, took it off the bike, cleaned it and then took it apart. Read the small numbers on the seals on the end, those numbers are the size and are used to order new parts, the o-ring inside you have to measure, as it might be worn also measure the bore of the damper, order a new one.

Buy some damper oil, i used 10w castrol fork tube oil.

Rebuild it , it is easy. There are no oem rebuild kits as Bmw only want to sell a new steering damper, but a rebuild is easy, quick and cost about 20usd with new seals and oil, the job is done with standard tools. There is no black magic involved and there are videos all over youtube, it does not have to be specificaly bmw dampers, all basic dampers function the same way. The adjustable ones are different but yours is not so.

Top tip is to not do the job inside the house, it can get a bit messy with the oil.......=)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2019, 7:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Matthias, thanks for the info and advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode