06 K1200S abs failure - Page 3 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2019, 6:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
okay, although not official (have not seen the paperwork yet) the dealer is telling me that my abs module and servo is not functioning and the repair will be about 4500.00....damn, can't do that considering the bike's value is not much more than that. It's difficult to accept that a low mileage bike in excellent condition has this fatal flaw. I will reach out to ModuleMaster's and confirm they have a fix for the abs servo module and what it's final cost is. Really disappointed. I will post more as it comes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2019, 5:17 am
Noob

That's crazy ridiculous,wait for module masters you can get it rebuilt and save a ton of money !
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2019, 8:30 pm

Garage
Yeah, that is ridiculous. At those prices, they either don't really want to work on your bike or they can correctly assume nobody knows enough about working on their own bike to the point they will pay any amount of money to get it worked on. If you think about it, that's not a "shame on them" situation as much as it's a "shame on us". As fewer and fewer riders do their own work, this will become worse and worse because the dealers can be more assured the owners are less and less informed and skilled.

EVERYONE should do enough of their own work to be truly informed of mechanical procedures in general, know their own particular bike, and be able to catch issues as they arise when they see them because they are in there looking.

Get a manual. Have sufficient tools. Learn the skills. It's the only way to have a chance at not getting ripped off and have a safe, reliable bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 9:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
I picked my bike up from the dealer yesterday and this is how it plays out up to this point. Error Codes: 006176 - pressure modulator, 006248 - ABS! CAN message missing. 006266 - light switch, front. These were written on a sheet of paper by the tech. I (wrongly) assumed there would be a print out from the diagnostic that they ran on the bike. Dealers estimate: ABS unit and servo motor are bad. Need to replace. Parts 3041.99, labor 896.88, total before taxes = 3938.87. Diagnostic cost = 143.50. Other than new a ding/chipped painted on my left side fairing which they will get back me with on that sums up evaluation and cost from the dealer.

I discussed an alternative with them about sending my unit to module masters for rebuild but, they refused that as an option citing liability issues. They did say however, that if I took the unit out, had it rebuilt and put it back it back in then they would bleed the brakes, etc.

ModuleMasters: per a recent phone conversation and email exchange, they can now offer a fix for the abs module with servo assist units. They do however, have a backlog and it may be early summer before they can get to it. Cost is 750.00 + shipping. Please email them for a definitive timeline.

So, my bike will be out of service for awhile; in the mean time, I will be reaching out to BMW dealers or independents in Atlanta that have the necessary tools and expertise to tackle this issue. My search in Birmingham has yielded zero results thus far.

That's it for now. I will update when this issue is resolved. I welcome any an all pertinent advice an or experience relating to this issue.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 3:09 pm
Noob

Hey Keith,this is the cheapest one I have found

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-Modulat...8AAOSwmi1ckNBB
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 8:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
I appreciate the info cclaypool16 but, I will not buy a used, unknown condition unit. A member here offered me a working unit for 450.00 but, I declined because it's not (to me) a good gamble given the problems these particular units seem to have. My plan is to have mine redone unless another dealer can offer me a retrofit for the newer (sans the servo-assist) for an affordable price. At least with a rebuilt unit and warranty if something goes wrong I'm covered for the part at least. It's unfortunate that BMW did not offer a retrofit with the newer unit to its' customers that had this issue.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2019, 9:47 am
Noob

Something you mentioned in your previous post has struck a chord,you stated that the dealer showed one fault as "Front Light Switch" is that the front brake lever micro switch defective? That could be why your system is not working !
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2019, 7:19 pm
Noob

I have used Pandora In Chattanooga to program
And flush a module masters rebuilt abs on a K12GT 2007. These guys are awesome.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Garage
Kietho,

What has to be faced here is your K-Bike is getting very long in the tooth and the whole bike is not worth the cost of fixing it; Period. Either put a 2nd hand ABS Controller in or take the ABS out all together. If you like K-Bikes sufficiently to be your repeat choice, then go shop for a '15 or '16 low miles bike from a private owner who is over 40 and looks like they have half a brain. You will have at least 5 years of trouble free riding.

Do it now before the weather warms up along with the prices.

Something all you guys that don't do all your own work have to face; Once your bike hit's 7 or 8 years old, it's probably not worth keeping it any longer. The franchise shops rates are just too damn steep.

Plan "B" is a local none franchise shop with lower labor rates. As a very old school biker, I prefer these people and have been dealing with shops of this type for over 50 years. They are more dependent on local satisfied customers then franchise shops who are dealing Regionally, have new bikes for sale, and fast supply of factory parts. The none factory shop has to do good work reasonably because it's all they got to sell. They are always family owned unlike franchise shops which are now all owned by investment lawyers who have no personal knowledge or interest in motorcycles what ever.

Most large cities have an old family none franchise shop for many of the major brands. Here in Seattle we have "Vallantines" for BMW. Find a family shop near you and patronize them. They are not some millionaire bastard on a yacht in the Bahamas who has no local interest.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2019, 1:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
I appreciate your advice SpaceViking. I've been around motorbikes since adolescence; crashing them, fixing them and everything in between. I just sold my '86 BMW K75C with 92,000 miles on the clock. I will resolve this issue in time. The problem I have here in B'Ham is (1) the lack of independent shops that will (2) work on BMW's (3) that know these bikes. I no longer have the space or tools, and frankly the time to wrench on the unit myself sans some minor issues. For a bike that is "over-the-hill," because of its age has much life left in it and in good nick...think I'll keep her and just figure it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode