Bent front wheel on pothole - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveMac
  • 1 Post By pedalmike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bent front wheel on pothole

Coming home about 30 minutes ago, on an offramp while leaned over, I saw a very narrow but long pothole at the last minute and was able to get the bike as upright as possible. This pothole was maybe 5" wide by 10" long, just perfect for a motorcycle tire. I hit it, the bike got tossed around, but I was able to keep it upright which is the most important. This could have been much worse.

However, now I need to figure out what to do with the front wheel. The bend is minor and just along the lip, only on the right side of the bike. The left side is fine (I was leaned over on the right side). The wheel holds air perfectly, and I don't think it is vibrating, although it may be vibrating a little bit, but that could also just be in my head.

Looking online, a replacement front wheel is nearly $1200, which is obscene for a 17" cast wheel:

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/p...318536239.html

The tires only have 3200 miles on them, so the front is still good. The rear is starting to square off a little bit.

Has anyone had any luck with wheel repair? I hate compromising the structural integrity of the wheel by bending it back, but this is so minor that $1200 for a new wheel is really hard to swallow.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7c3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	24505   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7b1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	24507  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 10:29 pm
Rookie

insurance claim? Does your State reimburse for poor road conditions? In chicago, some folks get reimbursed for pot holes I have heard if the street section has prior complaints and emergency repairs ignored. Not often but worth a complaint letter. As for the tire, at highway speeds, I think you would notice it being out of round. Glad you didn't dump it for more damage.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2019, 10:38 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
insurance claim? Does your State reimburse for poor road conditions? In chicago, some folks get reimbursed for pot holes I have heard if the street section has prior complaints and emergency repairs ignored. Not often but worth a complaint letter. As for the tire, at highway speeds, I think you would notice it being out of round. Glad you didn't dump it for more damage.
Yes, I am going to file a claim with VDOT as I called and reported it to them as well. And just four months ago on the opposite off ramp, I hit a pothole and blew the tire in my car. They know these are bad roads here.

I will take it out tomorrow on the highway and coast and see if there are any vibrations.

I don’t like the idea of straightening motorcycle wheels (or any wheels for that matter), so if VDOT denies me, I will will likely file an insurance claim. The front wheel is $1200 and the rear is $1500. Insane.

2016 BMW K1300S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 6:01 pm
Rookie

Yea

I have had my front wheel repaired.
I hit a large piece of wood at high speed on a corner. It really focussed my mind.
I stopped and checked, but didn't see any damage at the time. A week later a friend pointed out what I had missed.
A large notch in one side.
I took it to a mag wheel repair place. They said that they could fix it - and they did.
$50 - straightened and balanced.
$50 to put the brakes and tyre back on and fit it back to the bike.
The bigger issue was that I needed to take the wheel off for a week to get it repaired.
Beech likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 6:21 pm
Noob

I have had excellent results from Woody's Wheel Works repairing bent alloy wheels.

https://woodyswheelworks.com/pages/a...e-wheel-repair

The difference between Woody's and your local automotive wheel repair is Woody's extensive experience with motorcycle wheels. If they tell you it's repairable you can fully trust that they will return the wheel to you repaired as good or better than new.

Yes, you would need to remove your wheel and ship it to them in CO, but it will be completely worth it, with big savings over buying a replacement. Text them pics of the damaged wheel. You have nothing to lose.
Beech likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2019, 7:07 pm
Noob

wheel repair

I agree that using a shop that specializes in motorcycle wheels is a good idea, I have ridden thousands of miles on straightened rims with no problem. Let me add though, BMW has a history of rims that seem rather easy to bend and aside from watching the road we must keep up the air pressure! A slightly soft tire will readily dent on a pot hole! Even a slight dent can let out the air.
When I bought my K 1100RS years ago I was surprised that both rims were not original as the date codes on both rims were several years later than the 1993 bike! During my ownership I bent both again. I never bent a rim on any other brand street motorcycle either.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2019, 2:35 am
Noob

for such a minor ding, a good wheel repair shop can fix it just fine.

I had my '03 VFR wheels repaired after covering several hundred miles of VT roads in the aftermath of a major hurricane that ripped up roads and isolated towns across the state back in 20011 or so. It was done by MC Wheels in Swanzey, NH (apparently now closed), who had lots of equipment and obviously tons of experience repairing high end allow wheels (to go by the wheels waiting repair in the shop).

I do think that the $50 repair cost quoted is a bit on the low end for a quality job, as these guys spent a lot of time checking for cracks and going through several heat / straighten / check cycles so as to not weaken the allow. They also used several (expensive) machines for each stage of the repair.

OTOH, I bent an allow rim (badly) after/while getting a blowout on my Yammie YBR125G while touring (with passenger and luggage!) in the Philippines. I had to put in a tube to continue, and the vibration was fairly severe.
A roadside 'machine' shop climbed into it with hammer and so on, and when I last saw the bike with 10s of thousands of additional kms on it, the wheel was still holding up fine.
And that bike was regularly used to transport 2 or 3 people plus at least 100kg of gear on poor quality roads after that, as we used it as general business transport.

YMMV
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 7:52 pm
Noob

I used these guys to repair my wheel and forks on my Ducati after a wreck. Good prices, perfect repair job. I don't know how they fixed my wheel but the white powder coating wasn't even scratched.

Motorcycle Frame Straightening Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode