Brake failure message k1300s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mattias_r
  • 1 Post By Gene Kennedy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

Brake failure message k1300s

Hello lads.I recently had the bearing/seal fail on the final drive of my 2015 bmw k1300s.A bit dissapointing as only 13k miles on clock.It spewed oil all over back tyre and disc so it could have been a lot worse,a hard left turn would have had me down.Anyway Its back together now and I have a brake failure warning,I have to change back pads anyway as they're oil contaminated but is there a brake pad warning message on these bikes for worn pads or is it something else like abs sensor fault.I cant find anything in manual to explain brake failure.Any help much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 6:48 pm

Garage
There is no wear sensor on this bike, so either you ABS sensor is bad or just not seated correctly. Also check wiring for damage, unplug it at the connector and measure the Ohm's. Dont know what the reading should be but at least you know if it works at all, also measure the front, they should be close in reading's , if the rear is way off then you know it's bad.

Did you repair the FD yourself?
Got a replacement off another bike?

if you got a replacement off another bike it needs to match the one you had, different models have different number of teeth on the abs ring for the sensor.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 7:01 pm
Noob

Garage
Also just a quick follow to Mattias,if there was fluid everywhere you need to clean the abs sensor,if it's dirty it won't read correctly and the brake failure will stay lit..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 1:27 am
Enthusiast

When I had the brake failure light show up it was the ABS unit kaput easy to find out go and ride the bike and jump on the back brake!! Alternatively plug the bike into a 911 and all will be revealed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 5:00 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscanning View Post
When I had the brake failure light show up it was the ABS unit kaput easy to find out go and ride the bike and jump on the back brake!! Alternatively plug the bike into a 911 and all will be revealed.
You refering to the abs not kicking in? same thing happens if the sensor is bad. So no abs does not mean the abs unit is bad by default.

So first things first, no way of reading codes, look over the wiring, ohm read the sensors from the connector.

For reading fault codes, Motoscan will tell you any fault codes in the different computers, MOT (engine), ZFE (chassis) , ABS (brakes) and KOMBI (dash), way cheaper than GS911.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 5:06 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclaypool16 View Post
Also just a quick follow to Mattias,if there was fluid everywhere you need to clean the abs sensor,if it's dirty it won't read correctly and the brake failure will stay lit..
Rear abs sensor is covered in oil all the time, it reads from the crowngear and sits inside the FD oilbath.
Beech likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 5:09 am

Garage
Position of connector for rear abs sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abs connector rear.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	24565  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 5:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks lads this makes things much easier.I took back fd rhs off and gave to local bike shop who fitted new bearings and seals.I did seal and bearing in lhs of fd myself and reassembled everything.I had the abs sensor out to re fill the oil so I bet I damaged it,the wiring seems to have a slight kink.I will do a resistance check on sensor but Im pretty sure I ll be ordering one as well as pads.
Mattias_r likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode