pannier bags - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2006, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

pannier bags

do the itty bitty panier bags have the same loading capacity as the RS system cases? are they worth their price and are there alternative bag options?

I do my own stunts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:59 am

No..these are much smaller..but look great if that counts for anything. Search the board as there are many posts on alternative options with larger capacity.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie29
No..these are much smaller..but look great if that counts for anything. Search the board as there are many posts on alternative options with larger capacity.
As Roadie29 says there are others but I have not seen, IMHO, any that compare with ease of on/off or looks. True, I have had to rethink the packing process and now use vacuum plastic bags for clothing. Works really well. Air is removed manually, no devices needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by belga1976
do the itty bitty panier bags have the same loading capacity as the RS system cases? are they worth their price and are there alternative bag options?
They're smaller but I must say, I've been on a couple of multi day trips and can get everything I need in them (and my Marsee tail bag) without expanding them at all.
You do have to pack everything perfect but it can be done.
One thing to note is that although they are a little smaller, the exhaust doesn't take up half of one of the bags like the older K1200RS/GT.
Additionally, the bags are expandable if needed. A full face helmet will fit when fully expanded and they go on and off the bike easier than any other bag BMW has developed to date. It took a little while for them to "grow on me" in a few areas but IMHO, for the K1200S, these bags are almost perfect.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 9:55 am

I don't take many long trips, but I did last week - 2800+ miles in 8 days.
I bought the soft Givi T418 Tail bag and Givi T421 saddlebags for $200.
They worked fine.
Yes, I would rather have the BMW bags, but the cost was too much for me to justify with the amount of traveling I do.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:02 am

I would say that the sports panniers are brilliant,they are easy to open and attach or remove from the bike,they expand large enough and besides that they still keep the bike looking sporty and also when you don't have the bags attached there is no ugly frame showing up,i would say the one of the best pannier systems available.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 7:39 pm

I love them too, but hear that they are not waterproof - I don't know this firsthand - yet. I wonder if it's just the cases or also the liners that are not waterproof?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 8:16 pm
DSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
They're smaller but I must say, I've been on a couple of multi day trips and can get everything I need in them (and my Marsee tail bag) without expanding them at all.
You do have to pack everything perfect but it can be done.
One thing to note is that although they are a little smaller, the exhaust doesn't take up half of one of the bags like the older K1200RS/GT.
Additionally, the bags are expandable if needed. A full face helmet will fit when fully expanded and they go on and off the bike easier than any other bag BMW has developed to date. It took a little while for them to "grow on me" in a few areas but IMHO, for the K1200S, these bags are almost perfect.
Which Marsee tail bag do youhave?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 8:21 pm
DSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by belga1976
I use the BMW bags on the KS. THey're small, but expand enough to take whatever I need. And, they look great, as well as "fit the airstream" of the bike.

For a larger alternative check out this site. :
http://sw-motech.de

Choose English then follow the link to the KS>
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesmith
I love them too, but hear that they are not waterproof - I don't know this firsthand - yet. I wonder if it's just the cases or also the liners that are not waterproof?
The bags are not really waterproof..more so water resistent. The liners are waterproof as I have driven through a few heavy rainstorms with these bags. To be safe, I usually pack my stuff in green garabage bags to keep my clothes dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode