Control Unit Software Version Check - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 8:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Control Unit Software Version Check

I have been told the only way to see what version my bikes Control Unit has is to go to the dealer and have them hook the bike up. Then to get the update, it takes about 1 to 2 hours to update the Control Unit.
Does anyone have any later information on this? Prices? Software Versions?
2006 K1200s
Thanks
du907
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 1:03 am
Rookie

The way I know of is to borrow/use a GS-911. Used they might run $250, but they read and reset fault codes and will tell you a lot more. Not everything, but a lot. They also output real-time data to a log file you can look at later, which can be useful.

If someone you know has or can download and install ISTA-D, then get the interface cable (the easiest part) you can access everything (I think) the dealer can. This could also get you in trouble if you change something you shouldn't have.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:54 am
Noob

Software Update

I just got the software update on my 2006 K1200S last week after I installed the newer style airbox last year. A nearby BMW dealer charged me about $100 dollars for one hours labor. I tried to get the update without the new airbox and the first dealer I approached said they could not find any additional updates for my bike. Like the OP I was just trying to see what software version was installed and they confirmed it was original. All this remedied about 95% of my flaky idle issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode