How to improve passenger comfort? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 1:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

How to improve passenger comfort?

Need some advice about improving passenger comfort on my 2015 K1300S. It's 100% stock except for the addition of a Hepco & Becker 40L Journey Case with backrest and Darla lights.

My passenger is about 5'4 and 120 lbs. Her primary complaints seem to be: (1) at speed, the wind shoves her backward too hard, and she has to fight against it (she's not been comfortable putting too much pressure on the backrest, but we're working on this); (2) the stock seat feels slippery, and she feels that she slides toward me too hard, and too often. (She preferred the K1200rs, but that bike is now gone....).

Wondering if anyone has been able to improve the stickiness of the stock seat somehow; has any feedback or experience on whether an MRA Adjustable windscreen (MRA of Germany / Windshields for the BMW K1300S / K1200S / S1000RR from Pirates Lair at 828.628.7093 EST) improves wind buffeting for the passenger (and rider); or has any other suggestions for improving passenger comfort.

I'd love for us to do 500-750 mile days when needed, but I might just need to buy a second bike. Is a K1300GT that much better for a passenger? And I'm even thinking about a used K1600GTL. But it'd be awful nice to avoid having to spend $7,000-12,000 for a second set of wheels. I'm 5'6, and many bikes sit too tall for me, though the K13 seems generally OK.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Damien
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2832.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	24669  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 4:14 pm
Rookie

Garage
Lightbulb

The current trend is towards "double windscreens".

There is one available from MadStadt @: https://madstad.com/collections/bmw/...k1300s-2009-up

The leading screen pushes the wind but also grabs air at its bottom.

The grabbed air comes up between the two screens and decreases negative pressure build up such that most of the buffeting is eliminated.

The slippery seat can be covered with a non slip pad.

A common version is for workbenches and is a rubberized mesh.

Secure the pad at two points on each side.

You can also try a synthetic sheepskin cover. These come with two tie downs on both sides.

And there is also aftermarket seat modification such that the pillion seat does not slant forward and even add a bump at the front to stop forward movement of the pillion and provide sacral support for the captain (the Triumph Thunderbird LT had a great version of this design).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 5:29 pm
Enthusiast

Okay, my two cents. A K1300S to me is not a touring bike for riding two up especially 500-700 miles a day. You may need to go to a second bike. For me, an R1200RT would be a better choice as far as comfort for both of you but if you want a lot of power you can go with a K1300GT which opens up another bag of worms. The K will be heavier and at 5'6" you will not be able to flat foot unless you go with a low seat (which will be less comfortable than a regular seat). I've owned an RT that i rode for 109,000 miles and only switched because I broke the driveshaft and I wanted a K1300GT. I spent quite a bit of money making the K bike comfortable after a failed trip from Texas to California.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Much appreciated--thank you!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2019, 8:09 pm
Noob

Keep her under 150 mph should cut down on the wind

Ya won't have to work the brakes so hard either.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 2:02 am
Enthusiast

Took us 4 seats to find the right one a German Kahedo and the same with screens what worked for me didnít for my wife and we ended up with a Puig.

Google Tribo seat cover to stop your passenger sliding around.

Wouldnít have a backrest at any price the passenger can have as much input as the rider and leaning back ainít one of them I doubt if I ride a bike 10% of the time one up so yea two riding is an art form.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscanning View Post
Google Tribo seat cover to stop your passenger sliding around.
This appears to be a tailored version of the rubberized mesh described in post #2.

Looks nice!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Noob

When I bought my K1300s in 2014, it was clear my wife would not ride on the back without a backrest, and considering the accelration involved, it seemed a good idea. My wife was only 4'11", and she couldn't see much of the road in front of me. Consequently she had no clue when I was about to really nail it, and she was afraid she'd go right off the back.

We both also were instantly uncomfortable on the stock seat. It slopes forward a bit, and that was very uncomfortable on my balls when stopping, and any stops with a passenger had them sliding into me.

Since I was coming from a 1985 K100RS with Corbin seat, I was very interested in replacing the stock K1300 seat. I bought the K100rs new in 1985, by the way, and had been riding it for 30 years.

After checking various seat vendors, and not liking the looks of most, I settled on buying a new Corbin, mostly because it was the only one I could find with a rear heated seat option.

With the new seat, plus Corbin backrest, the forward sliding was mostly gone, the heating elements were a godsend in cold weather, and the backrest made my wife feel much more comfortable and safe. I do feel that the seat is hard, which I expected as the old one was firm too, but the new one seems a bit harder. I probably should have requested a slight increase in the padding level, but then again I don't ride enough anymore to avoid saddlesores on any seat.

Craig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode