Hard to find Neutral - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 4:17 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hard to find Neutral

Hi could anyone help with suggestions as to why I'm finding when my 2006 K1200S is first started, until it warms up, it's quite hard to find neutral?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Because at startup, there is little oil left between the plates of your clutch. After some running two things happen: the oil thins (a little, most oils pretty viscosity-stable now) and oil gets between the clutch plates, as it's supposed to.

K12/K13 clutches and their operating characteristics have been beat upon for ages on this and other similar forums. BMW screwed the pooch seems to be the general consensus. Parts are expensive, the clutch plates are only sold as a pack, the clutch components have changed many times, seemingly without getting it right.

I have taken to starting my 30,000-mile 2010 K13GT in first gear to avoid the hideous clunk when it goes into gear. Supposedly the PO put in a Barnett clutch pack; if so perhaps it's time to replace it, but I just dropped $1400 on some other work so the wallet will rest a bit first.

Coming to a stop, I try get into neutral while the bike is still moving. Once stopped it takes six or seven CLUNK shifts between first and second to find the elusive neutral spot. There's so much clutch drag that it's tough to get that "just enough" pressure on the shifter to only go to neutral, not the gear on either side. Feel like an idiot I do, as if anyone cares (but I do). BMW is supposed to be better than that ... NOT.

Makes me really really miss the silent smooth operation of my previous '85 K100RS, which had a dry automotive style clutch. Damn these wet clutches. Still and all the rest of the bike kinka makes up for it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:49 pm

K 1200 r clutch help

I too had the HORRIBLE K1200 R clutch. Rattling, poor shifting, grabbing in the morning when cold starting, making the barking /howling dog noise during take off etc.....

I bit the bullet this past march and sent the clutch and basket to England and had my clutch basket rebuilt and a Barnette clutch fitted by an I BMW forum Member named 4hundredfour. He lives in England. I have asked him to join the site. He is the GOLD STANDARD of clutch basket and clutch knowledge and repair. My 07 K1200 R is totally reformed and a pleasure to ride now!!

If your clutch plates are all gummed up, YES, you will have shifting and finding N issues. Jack the rear wheel and pull in the clutch when the engine is cold and you will see that the clutch will not fully disengaged.. So Yes, you will see that issue with dirty gummed up clutch plates.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode