Diagnostic Port Problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Davemac250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 8:54 am Thread Starter
Noob

Diagnostic Port Problems

Hi all. Wonder if there is some wisdom on here about a problem I'm having with my 2005 K1200S.

I've owned the bike from new and it's been great but at annual service last week the diagnostic port had no power.

I've been checking things today and I'm getting 0V on the red main power feed. I've checked the connections at the port and they are all fine. The wire is dead.

Any ideas where it picks it power up from?

I've tracked back to the ECU plugs and either it doesn't go there or the wire has broken down somewhere - which is an easy fix if it's a direct feed from one of the pins.

And who builds anything without fuses lol. I'm a bit lost!!

Thanks.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 10:35 am

Garage
It takes power direct from the ZFE, central chassis computer, if the zfe senses an overload, short or anything else wrong it shuts down power to that wire, this goes for all wires on the bike, hence no need for fuses, it is electrnicly controlled. Remove the problem and the zfe turns power back on.

It's like solid state fuses.

So, check all the wire's in the diagnostic port for breaks or a short to ground.

Turn bike off and use a multimeter set to continuity and measure between ground and each connector, should only be one that gives a beep, the ground wire. If only that one gives a beep there is no short.

To check for breaks measure from end to end of the wires the same way, all should beep.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 11:17 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks.

I've checked the wires in the port and I get the beep at the ground as you say.

The others give 12v except one which is at 11v which I think is right.

The red wire is zero.

I've done a continuity test back to the ECU plugs and the red wire doesn't come back to a pin there. So I'm guessing there is a break in that wire somewhere between diagnostic and the ECU?

Do you know which pin position the red wire goes to? I'll try running a replacement wire and see where I get.

Is there any way that that wire has picked up full load and burnt out? Trusting an ECU with this worries me, the ABS one has already died and left me stranded. I worked round that one.

The bike is actually running really well, a bit rich which I suspected was a lambda sensor going down and wanted to run a diagnostic to check.

I've tried on line but finding a wiring diagram has proved impossible. To be fair the electrics on this bike are a bit beyond me, but my main dealer suggested I check the fuses.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Garage
My bad, i just looked at the wiring diagram and the red wire does not go to the zfe, it goes to a connection joint, 30U. i suppose direct to battery. Ignition and many other parts get their 12v supply from 30U.

Do a search for : Bmw Motorrad SLP 2.1, this is wiring diamgrams for all Bmw motorcycles between 1993-2007.

Or schaltplan bmw k1200s.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2019, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks. I'll have a search tomorrow. Most of the posts/pages containing the links are now not known on the respective servers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2019, 6:13 am Thread Starter
Noob

Does anyone know where this junction 30U actually is on this bike?

Pulled the loom apart and it does look like it goes into the bottom connector on the ZFE on LHS of the bike.

Lots of head scratching.....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2019, 9:32 am

Garage
30U is a connector, follow the wires from the ignition backwards and you should hit a connector.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2019, 11:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Turns out that the loom had not been fitted correctly - likely at factory - and was trapped between the airbox and frame. It had worn through the diagnostic live and a couple of other wires.
Mattias_r likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode