APE Cam Chain Tensioner Fitting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2019, 3:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

APE Cam Chain Tensioner Fitting

Hi all,

I am about to fit an APE manual tensioner on my K1200s despite the packet suggesting that their are instructions on APE's website there are none for my bike, i can see from other posts that some folks have fitted these just wondered if someone would be kind enough to help a newbie with a how to guide?? I really don't to screw it up!!

Thanks

Iain

Last edited by iainea; Jul 20th, 2019 at 3:08 am. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 3:45 am
Noob

About to do the same on mine I'll post instructions when Im done Iain
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Garage
I've done 3 K1200s bikes and its pretty straight forward.

Once installed adjust the adjusting screw finger tight against the cam chain guide than snug the lock nut. Than follow the direction below

ADJUSTING THE TENSIONER IS DONE WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. ONCE THE ENGINE HAS BEEN STARTED LOOSEN THE LOCK NUT AND TURN THE THREADED ADJUSTER IN OR OUT BASED ON THE SOUND THE CHAIN IS MAKING DURING INITIAL START-UP. IF IT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY YOU SHOULD HAVE TO TURN THE THREADED ADJUSTER OUT JUST A LITTLE BIT UNTIL YOU START TO HEAR THE CHAIN "TICK" THEN TURN IT BACK IN A HALF A TURN.
ADJUSTMENTS MAY BE NEEDED OVER TIME, REPEAT PROCESS FOR ADJUSTMENT. IF THE NOISE DOES NOT GO AWAY CHECK CAM CHAIN GUIDE RAILS FOR EXCESSIVE WEAR.

Any questions let me know I'll be happy to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 4:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the replies, I have fitted mine tonight not too bad a job panel off and some weird torx bolts to deal with and pulled the old one out original one by the looks of things with a flat plate over the top. The new one is installed started it up and ran very quiet I am on about 4 threads above the lock nut teied backing off until rattled got it to rattle a little bit and I mean a little bit and then tightened it up as per the help earlier.

Not sure if it's too tight or not?? anyway to tell?? Just wondering how many threads on the adjuster above the locknut other people have?

Thanks

Iain

PS The irony of it is the dealer definately told me it had the upgraded on it with the oil reservoir, hmm naughty dealer for not tellling the truth

Last edited by iainea; Jul 22nd, 2019 at 4:23 pm. Reason: spelling error
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 8:02 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainea View Post
Thanks for the replies, I have fitted mine tonight not too bad a job panel off and some weird torx bolts to deal with and pulled the old one out original one by the looks of things with a flat plate over the top. The new one is installed started it up and ran very quiet I am on about 4 threads above the lock nut teied backing off until rattled got it to rattle a little bit and I mean a little bit and then tightened it up as per the help earlier.

Not sure if it's too tight or not?? anyway to tell?? Just wondering how many threads on the adjuster above the locknut other people have?

Thanks

Iain

PS The irony of it is the dealer definately told me it had the upgraded on it with the oil reservoir, hmm naughty dealer for not tellling the truth
The way you adjusted it is spot on. Only a couple of threads show above the locknut.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 2:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Douglas thats really great to know, now all i need to do is find a way of draining the shaft drive oil without splitting the drive etc etc
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 8:31 am

Garage
You can use a Mighty Vac but splitting the drive is preferred because you can also lube the spline while its apart.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2019, 9:11 pm
Noob

APE Cam Chain Tensioner

I have an new BT1200-Pro APE cam chain tensioner that I never got around to installing. 50.00 shipped to anyone that might be interested.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2019, 12:02 am
Rookie

Are there any issues with tensioners on 2003 K1200GT engines? Thanks for the comments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 10.58.38 PM.png
Views:	18
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	24891  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
Are there any issues with tensioners on 2003 K1200GT engines? Thanks for the comments
Very few issues with tensioners on the "flying brick" engines. Search engines(google etc.) will give you the results your looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode