Clunk - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2019, 6:14 am Thread Starter
Noob

Clunk

Hey all!
I ride a 2010 K1300S and recently I (think) I started to hear an abnormal sound from the power transmission along with increasing vibrations, it might have been there more or less all four years I've owned the bike but just recently caught my attention. The only odd thing I located so far is if I put the bike in (any) gear with engine off, hold the clutch handle and roll the bike forwards and backwards I can hear a clear clunk for every change of direction that seems to come from the gearbox / propshaft entry area, like there is to much play in some of the transmission components. In neutral there is no clunk. Is this normal for every K1300 or should I be worried? The bike has about 4000km on the clock, all services done according to schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2019, 1:34 pm
Rookie

Garage
The "Clunk" in gearbox to final drive area is normal. K12 & K13 S's and R's do it. (not sure about other models). My friend took his 2010 K1300S to two different dealerships about 8 years ago and they said it was the "nature of the beast". It now has 78k miles and is still running strong.

As for the vibrations, if you feel them through the bars order a pair of Grip Puppies and that will reduce it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2019, 10:52 pm

100% agree!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 6:36 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanx for answering.
I normally keep my daily distances around 300km's, noices and vibes have never been something I particularly notice.
This time we rode 2up with fully loaded panniers for a week and distances up to 600km's each day. Noice and vibes, in both hands and butt, became more noticeable during this trip.

Just recently changed tires and suspected they might be the cause. Brand and type, PR4's, has been on the bike before and I have felt satisfied with them, but this time they put a considerable amount of weights on both front and rear wheels

If I dont find anything else I might take the wheels off to be balanced.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 9:13 am
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Rulle View Post
Thanx for answering.
I normally keep my daily distances around 300km's, noices and vibes have never been something I particularly notice.
This time we rode 2up with fully loaded panniers for a week and distances up to 600km's each day. Noice and vibes, in both hands and butt, became more noticeable during this trip.

Just recently changed tires and suspected they might be the cause. Brand and type, PR4's, has been on the bike before and I have felt satisfied with them, but this time they put a considerable amount of weights on both front and rear wheels

If I dont find anything else I might take the wheels off to be balanced.
As for tire balancing I use Counteract Balancing Beads. Years ago I had a vibration in the front end of my Kawasaki that would develop every few thousand miles. A friend recommended I try them, After 3 months I was so impressed with them that I removed the weights from my BMW R1100s and my 06 BMW K1200S and put in balancing beads.

They keep the tires balanced through the life of the ties and the bike rode as smooth as silk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode