Tire Pressures - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2019, 5:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Tire Pressures

This is probably an old story, but what should we run in the K1300S? I love my dealer, but somehow I think they got it wrong telling me to run more air pressure in the front than the rear, like 42 front 38 rear. I'll crack open the manual now and have a read, but still wanted to ask this important question online.

2015 K1300S
2014 Kawasaki ZX14-R
2000 Harley Davidson Night Train

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i for sale
2005 Ducati 999 Custom Streetfighter for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Noob

Sounds like got it backwards.

I'm 36 Front, 42 Rear
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 7:41 am Thread Starter
Noob

You are correct. I checked the readout and it matches accordingly and is right. My gauge, however, is WAY off....reading about 7 pounds more than what I had! So, my tires have always been way under inflated before this BMW! I wanna shop for a good gauge for once and for all. I like having a base example to measure my gauge now, with the TPMS on the bike, one of my favorite factory options.

2015 K1300S
2014 Kawasaki ZX14-R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:32 am
Noob

I've got 22,000 miles on my 2015 K1300s MS. All tires so far have been Pirelli Angel GT's after the stock M3's wore out. I weigh about 200lbs and usually ride solo.

I've tried a bunch of different tire pressures, and what I've come up with so far is "use 38/42 psi".

The front end feels a bit vague with 36psi in the front, but MUCH more precise steering with 38. Let's say you come into a corner with a lot of gravel, but a 3-inch wide clear strip through the corner. With 36psi I couldn't guarantee I'd keep the tires exactly where I needed them, but with 38 I can. I've tried a bunch of different pressures in the rear and didn't notice a much, if any, change with higher pressures, so I leave it close to 42.

Years ago at a Michelin seminar at a BMW national rally I was told that the proper cold tire pressure was whatever it took to have the front raise 8-10% and the rear 10-12% when hot. That is, measure tire pressure, then go ride normally, and then immediately check pressure when hot. The pressure should go up 8-10/10-12% due to heating. If it goes up MORE your tires need more air (to stiffen them), and if it goes up less then bleed some out. The faster you ride the more air you need in them. This is for more-or-less normal riding, not track racing. The stock pressures go up more than the above percentages for me, but I'm not sure if that old rule of thumb still applies to modern tire design.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:40 pm

Garage
I also use 38/42 psi
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks. I'll do the same.

2015 K1300S
2014 Kawasaki ZX14-R

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

My bike came with Michelin Pilots on it. I might go to Pirelli next, as I always loved them on my Ducati.

My Ninja has the Michelin heavy carcass Road tires, seems fine but the handling is not razor sharp. Compared to the BMW it feels vague. That K13 does spoil you for every other motorcycle, I fear.

2015 K1300S
2014 Kawasaki ZX14-R

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I like to compare my bikes to either food or sex. My HD is fast food, and a whore. It's delicious, but bad for you. It's indulgent and makes me happy, but not without guilt. I don't take it seriously, but don't want to be without.

My Ninja is a healthy nutritious meal and a Geisha girl. It's very worthy and good to me. It's sensible, practical, pleasing, and guilt free. I respect it, but I could live without it.

My BMW is soul food and a mistress. It's sublime handling is like a gourmet meal and it's a soulmate that I want to marry. I completely take her seriously and will commit all my quality riding to her. She gets the best of everything and will be treated like the princess that she is. The love of my life.

2015 K1300S
2014 Kawasaki ZX14-R

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Talking

There are some exotic cars, one in particular was driven by Anthony Hopkins in the movie "Fracture", that have a characteristic high pitched wail. The high revving high power engines make an incredible sound that is unmistakable. The first time I rode my K1300S that sound captured me....I was not ready for it, and felt put off by the sound. The more I ride it the more I relish that "racing" sound and want more....and more...and M O R E....it is addictive. I only have the bike a couple of days and only took two rides so far....and I'm already hooked.

2015 K1300S
2014 Kawasaki ZX14-R

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 7:30 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexlocator View Post
My bike came with Michelin Pilots on it. I might go to Pirelli next, as I always loved them on my Ducati.

My Ninja has the Michelin heavy carcass Road tires, seems fine but the handling is not razor sharp. Compared to the BMW it feels vague. That K13 does spoil you for every other motorcycle, I fear.
Mine came with basic "Dunlop Qualifier"

At the first change I went up to the "Dunlop Qualifier 3"

Now I'm on the new "Dunlop Qualifier 3 plus"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in