BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

'08 1200 S - new battery FULL THROTTLE!!!!!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jkaiser 
#1 ·
Just replaced battery on '08 1200S - have done this a few times before with no problem and bike was running great before..

Removed old battery
installed new one
key on
roll throttle to full hold for a second or two then back to idle - I do this 3 times
key OFF
wait for screen to go blank
key back ON
Start the bike....

It starts fine and goes to FULL THROTTLE!!!!!!

Turn bike off...

I tried leaving the battery disconnected for a while and try again = same issue....

never had this before and heard of guys having low idle issues after battery replace but not full throttle... WTF?

anyone else have an idea? or seen this?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you hear the stepper motor move when you roll the throttle?
And how fast are you moving the throttle? Gradually or fast?

There has been cases where the cable attach at the throttle has snapped and jammed the throttle open..... usually happens when the cable has been tightened too much and the rider has twisted the throttle to fully open

#4 ·
I think you need to remove the fuel tank and trace out the throttle lines to the fuel rack. Then look things over while you roll the throttle. You may have a broken cable as previously mentioned. If you can't see under the air box it too may have to come out. First time is a serious hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.