Removing gas tank first time - any advise? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2019, 12:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob
 
jaxlrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Browns Point, WA, USA
Posts: 11
Removing gas tank first time - any advise?

I am removing the gas tank on my K 1200 S for the first time. Is there anything that I should be aware of when doing so?
jaxlrs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2019, 1:03 pm
Member
 
Beech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , ,
Posts: 94
Two electric connections, one vent line and the pressure line. All need to be disconnected with the tank lifted only a couple of inches. Be sure to push in the pressure disconnect device all the way so it won't nick the o-ring, same for going back together. Do not put any sideways pressure on it. The whole process is just a little pesky. The power connections have the little slip to lock clip that are on the spark plug coils. Not that easy, I use a small pick to just wedge under the lip of the lock tab and then a small screwdriver blade to twist between the two halves to pop them apart. Of course be low on fuel. If not I recommend you syphon some out. Have a spot cleared before hand to put it down.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
Beech is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Noob
 
Capt howdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Be careful removing the panels. I found on my k12R that even on the same panel, two of the three ‘
‘Pins’ that push into rubber grommets on the frame to secure it are just that. Pull out to remove panel and push back into re attach. The third however may have a circlip on the back that must be removed before removing the panel. Not sure if this is the case on the ‘S’

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
Capt howdy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2019, 8:13 pm
Senior Member
 
Douglas M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 131
Garage
It would be a good time to change the "Fuel Quick Disconnect" to a metal one if you still have a plastic one. Also do the Evap bypass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-4-Gas...UAAOSwR3tcWPnL

I have the Evap bypass directions if needed.
Beech and ericw like this.
Douglas M is online now  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:13 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
jaxlrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Browns Point, WA, USA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
Two electric connections, one vent line and the pressure line. All need to be disconnected with the tank lifted only a couple of inches. Be sure to push in the pressure disconnect device all the way so it won't nick the o-ring, same for going back together. Do not put any sideways pressure on it. The whole process is just a little pesky. The power connections have the little slip to lock clip that are on the spark plug coils. Not that easy, I use a small pick to just wedge under the lip of the lock tab and then a small screwdriver blade to twist between the two halves to pop them apart. Of course be low on fuel. If not I recommend you syphon some out. Have a spot cleared before hand to put it down.
Thank you
jaxlrs is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:16 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
jaxlrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Browns Point, WA, USA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas M View Post
It would be a good time to change the "Fuel Quick Disconnect" to a metal one if you still have a plastic one. Also do the Evap bypass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1-4-Gas...UAAOSwR3tcWPnL

I have the Evap bypass directions if needed.
Thank you. What is the purpose of the Evap bypass?
jaxlrs is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 10:40 am
Senior Member
 
Douglas M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 131
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxlrs View Post
Thank you. What is the purpose of the Evap bypass?
The reason to do this is that the filter becomes clogged over time and sometimes it can even become fuel soaked from overfills. This causes a very uneven idle. The issues are well documented on many forums. Removing it does clear the issue. It worked on my bike.

Google it and decide for yourself.
Beech likes this.
Douglas M is online now  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 11:06 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
jaxlrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Browns Point, WA, USA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxlrs View Post
Thank you. What is the purpose of the Evap bypass?
The reason to do this is that the filter becomes clogged over time and sometimes it can even become fuel soaked from overfills. This causes a very uneven idle. The issues are well documented on many forums. Removing it does clear the issue. It worked on my bike.


Google it and decide for yourself.

Sounds a little tricky without directions. Can you send them to me?
jaxlrs is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2019, 9:16 pm
Senior Member
 
Douglas M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 131
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxlrs View Post
Sounds a little tricky without directions. Can you send them to me?
I just sent you the directions. If you have any questions let me know.
Douglas M is online now  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2019, 7:47 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
jaxlrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Browns Point, WA, USA
Posts: 11
Thanks Douglas M.
jaxlrs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome