BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Accessory Plug Battery Charging

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Beech 
#1 ·
I would like to find the proper way to use the accessory outlet on my K1300S to keep the battery charged. When I purchased the plug from the former BMW parts dept the gentleman told me the proper procedure but since time has passed and my memory is not what it used to be I need a little help. I know it wasn’t as simple as just plugging it in. I believe he said something like plug one in and wait 30 seconds and then plug the other in. I was not sure if their is a sequence, I just want to be assured I’m not draining the battery instead of charging it.

Thank you.

#2 ·
You are correct, there is a sequence that keeps the socket live (computer controlled) for your charging. I believe you need either a BMW charger or a CAN bus rated Optimate charger.
I suggest making life easier and get a pit tail and wire directly to your battery with a 15 amp fuse and have the working end dangle at the bottom edge of the seat. This can be used any time with no tricks. Also good for an air compressor or a heated item of clothing. The oem socket is only 5 amps and will not run anything of use. Or better yet, purchase a BMW type socket and install it directly to your battery or a fuse block, using that 15 amp circuit demand. Do a search for Fuse blocks if that interests you.
Otherwise: first turn the key on to the bike, then you plug the charger into the accessory socket, then you plug the charger into the wall for power, then you turn the key off.

#3 ·
Beech

Thank you for the information and sequence. I do have a couple of pigtails in my toolbox that I could directly tie in also.

Nice to see you posting here I always found your posts interesting over on I-BMW. If I may ask have you found any other forums for BMW’s or K-bikes that you like?

Thank you.

#8 ·
Beech

Thank you for the information and sequence. I do have a couple of pigtails in my toolbox that I could directly tie in also.
Nice to see you posting here I always found your posts interesting over on I-BMW. If I may ask have you found any other forums for BMW’s or K-bikes that you like?
Thank you.
I hope more come here to expand it and continue the work on great bikes, K bikes of course. Several members have gone to
https://theriderspace.com/
But at this point it is more of a social club. I think this site will continue to expand with new members and I hope the data reservoir will grow also.

#5 ·
The power socket is very easy to use
Plug in the charger to the socket
Turn on the ignition and let it cycle through
Power up the charger
Turn off the ignition

If you turn on the charger before the ignition the bike’s computer won’t recognise it

#6 ·
Thank you for the sequence it did work I also proceeded with building an alternate harness for charging and using the compressor with a branch for a phone USB. So with the info provided by all here it got me motivated to do a few things on my list

Thank you all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.