K1200S won't start - gear position sensor? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 8:35 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200S won't start - gear position sensor?

I have a 2006 K1200S that I bought a few months ago. Black and yellow, more than fast enough for me, great bike. However, while riding to work a few days ago, I noticed the gear display jumping/cycling through gears, even though I was on the freeway staying in 5th. When I parked, it was doing the same thing. Shut it off, went in to the office, and when I came out at the end of the day, it wouldn't even turn over, and nothing was showing on the gear display at all. Loaded it up into the truck and brought it home, and still no display and no turning over, even in N with the clutch handle pulled in.

The interwebs have me thinking that it could be the gear position sensor, which I guess is also called the potentiometer. I am waiting for a CD with the service manual to arrive, but apparently it's being sent by horseback and isn't arriving for almost two weeks.

Anyone out there ever see this? Would a bad sensor prevent the bike from seeing it's in N and allowing the starter switch to work its magic? If relevant, before this happened, it was getting hard to find neutral when the bike was running, especially when stopped at a light. I was hoping maybe I could check a fuse, connection, etc. first, but this is my first BMW and I don't know where anything is, to be honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 10:04 am

Garage
The first thing to do is check battery cables to see if there loose and 2nd the battery itself.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 2:29 pm
Rookie

Garage
The bikes Engine controller won't let you start the bike when:

Sidestand out, in gear.

Sidestand in, in gear, faulty clutch switch.

Sidestand in, malfunctioning gear indication, faulty clutch switch.

Alot of people never notice that their clutch switch isn't working until their gear indicator fails.

So my suggestion would be to check the clutch switch.
Beech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2019, 12:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

The battery seems good. Nice loud horn, high beams come on, etc.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2019, 2:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83 View Post
The bikes Engine controller won't let you start the bike when:

Sidestand out, in gear.

Sidestand in, in gear, faulty clutch switch.

Sidestand in, malfunctioning gear indication, faulty clutch switch.

Alot of people never notice that their clutch switch isn't working until their gear indicator fails.

So my suggestion would be to check the clutch switch.
Thank you! I checked it and sure enough, no click. I loosened the 2mm hex set screw on the bottom side, adjusted until I could hear a click, tightened it back up, and boom, she started right away.

It's interesting - now the gear display on the dash shows nothing when I have the clutch pulled in, but when I'm in gear and riding, it shows the correct gear. Doesn't show anything when I'm in neutral. I guess I'm still on the hook for new a gear position sensor, but hey, at least I'm in motion again. Your advice is much appreciated.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Garage
For some reason the clutch switch's go out of adjustment...I thought it was because I changed my levers but my neighbors K1200S has the stock levers and we had to adjust it on his bike.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2019, 6:40 am
Rookie

Garage
There you go.... another happy forum costumer 😉
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2019, 10:18 pm
Rookie

The gear indicator is just a variable resistor mounted on the side of an engine.
They are sensitive to water, so if it has been wet in the last few days and your gear indicator plays up then it is wet.
Wait a few more days for it to dry out then spray the wiring entry to the sensor with a waterproofing spray.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas M View Post
For some reason the clutch switch's go out of adjustment...I thought it was because I changed my levers but my neighbors K1200S has the stock levers and we had to adjust it on his bike.
So after reading this post, I went out and checked my 2008 K12S and sure enough, no click from my clutch lever. I got in there and re-adjusted the sensor so now it clicks when I pull in the clutch lever but the bike still won't start in gear with the clutch pulled in. Is it possible the sensor died?? On the rare occasion that I stall the bike in an intersection, my humiliation is made even more complete having to search for neutral on a non-running engine while the Camary behind me rages.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 1:13 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas M View Post
So after reading this post, I went out and checked my 2008 K12S and sure enough, no click from my clutch lever. I got in there and re-adjusted the sensor so now it clicks when I pull in the clutch lever but the bike still won't start in gear with the clutch pulled in. Is it possible the sensor died?? On the rare occasion that I stall the bike in an intersection, my humiliation is made even more complete having to search for neutral on a non-running engine while the Camary behind me rages.
Bump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode