BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1200S won't start - gear position sensor?

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Douglas M 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 K1200S that I bought a few months ago. Black and yellow, more than fast enough for me, great bike. However, while riding to work a few days ago, I noticed the gear display jumping/cycling through gears, even though I was on the freeway staying in 5th. When I parked, it was doing the same thing. Shut it off, went in to the office, and when I came out at the end of the day, it wouldn't even turn over, and nothing was showing on the gear display at all. Loaded it up into the truck and brought it home, and still no display and no turning over, even in N with the clutch handle pulled in.

The interwebs have me thinking that it could be the gear position sensor, which I guess is also called the potentiometer. I am waiting for a CD with the service manual to arrive, but apparently it's being sent by horseback and isn't arriving for almost two weeks.

Anyone out there ever see this? Would a bad sensor prevent the bike from seeing it's in N and allowing the starter switch to work its magic? If relevant, before this happened, it was getting hard to find neutral when the bike was running, especially when stopped at a light. I was hoping maybe I could check a fuse, connection, etc. first, but this is my first BMW and I don't know where anything is, to be honest.

#3 ·
The bikes Engine controller won't let you start the bike when:

Sidestand out, in gear.

Sidestand in, in gear, faulty clutch switch.

Sidestand in, malfunctioning gear indication, faulty clutch switch.

Alot of people never notice that their clutch switch isn't working until their gear indicator fails.

So my suggestion would be to check the clutch switch.

#5 ·
Thank you! I checked it and sure enough, no click. I loosened the 2mm hex set screw on the bottom side, adjusted until I could hear a click, tightened it back up, and boom, she started right away.

It's interesting - now the gear display on the dash shows nothing when I have the clutch pulled in, but when I'm in gear and riding, it shows the correct gear. Doesn't show anything when I'm in neutral. I guess I'm still on the hook for new a gear position sensor, but hey, at least I'm in motion again. Your advice is much appreciated.

#9 ·
So after reading this post, I went out and checked my 2008 K12S and sure enough, no click from my clutch lever. I got in there and re-adjusted the sensor so now it clicks when I pull in the clutch lever but the bike still won't start in gear with the clutch pulled in. Is it possible the sensor died?? On the rare occasion that I stall the bike in an intersection, my humiliation is made even more complete having to search for neutral on a non-running engine while the Camary behind me rages.

#8 ·
The gear indicator is just a variable resistor mounted on the side of an engine.
They are sensitive to water, so if it has been wet in the last few days and your gear indicator plays up then it is wet.
Wait a few more days for it to dry out then spray the wiring entry to the sensor with a waterproofing spray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.