About to buy a 2005 K1200s, Should I?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2019, 1:19 am Thread Starter
ren
Noob

Question About to buy a 2005 K1200s, Should I??

Hi,

I am probably going to sell my S1R and buy a used (fairly high mileage) 2005 K1200S. It has 45K on it owner says never had any issues.
Im interested in doing some touring and commuting. My only concern is reliability for the next 20-30K of riding.

Since this is an owners forum, Id like to ping you guys for any input as to whether this is a crazy idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2019, 8:14 pm

The mileage shouldn't be an issue. Get the VIN and ask a BMW dealer to check for any recalls that weren't done. Even if the bike's too old to have them done for free, at least you have a bargaining chip. For touring and commuting, the optional BMW saddlebags are a good option. Does this bike have them? If not, the bags, mounting brackets, and liners are probably about $1K. more or less. Cheaper if you can find them used. Ask if there are any suspension modifications, or aftermarket stuff, like windshield, handlebar risers, throttlemeister, seat, etc. You picked a good bike for sport touring, with the emphasis on sport.

' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '
John Filak - Dallas, Texas

'01 K1200RS '01 R1100S '02 R1150RS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2019, 11:37 pm
Noob

I have a 2006 with absolutely no issues and about 35k or more on it. As with anything on the internet, issues get magnified for any product and the quiet multitude with nothing to talk about, say nothing! Beemers have always gone high mileage with little problems. They are very over built! Just beware dealers trying to convince you of problems that do not exist!
I had one try to sell me a rear drive 30,000 miles back! Fortunately, i'm an ex-bmw mechanic that became a double EE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2019, 1:03 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren View Post
Hi,

I am probably going to sell my S1R and buy a used (fairly high mileage) 2005 K1200S. It has 45K on it owner says never had any issues.
Im interested in doing some touring and commuting. My only concern is reliability for the next 20-30K of riding.

Since this is an owners forum, Id like to ping you guys for any input as to whether this is a crazy idea.
So did you pull the trigger and buy the K12S?? I've had a great time with mine and agree with others here, millage isn't an issue. I'd say maintenance is usually the biggest concern. BMW maintenance (from the dealer) is expensive and many people live by the notion that "I only ride 2000 miles a year, how much maintenance could it need?" So they do nothing.

Look for leaking seals on the shocks and check tire date codes. Unless the seller has documented maintenance, assume nothing. A full round of maintenance is relatively easy to do if you're handy with a wrench and have tools.

Key items are the usual suspects. Spark plugs, coolant flush (which will happen in the course of doing the spark plugs) air filters, oil change, final drive service (dont forget to grease the spines on the drive shaft vs. just replacing the oil), brake system flush.

Also check for shoddy wiring from added accessories. I recommend soldering and heat shrink vs. butt connectors.

Then there are upgrades of course, but that's a whole other thread. 😁
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Hey, great hot rod and you have the right idea, on the road riding. They are a little pesky driving around in town. If you do your own maintenance good. Getting to the spark plugs, removing the radiator for cleaning or doing a valve check and/or adjustment is expensive as it is about a 5 hour job and requires some special tools like a vacuum system to refill the coolant system. My only real concern is you have the Servo ABSIII system on this bike I believe and if it fails it is expensive to repair. Also make a friend who has a tire machine because you will be getting together every 4500 miles or so. HP eats tires. But it is also good for those 5 car passes that line up once and a while. Besides fresh fluids all around (including a complete brake fluid change out) do yourself a favor and buy a new AGM Yuasa battery. and use 5W40 synthetic motorcycle oil which helps the clutch. That clutch is another expensive item if the previous owner has worn it out. Mine made it to well over 100,000 miles though.
https://www.atbatt.com/yuasa-ytx14l-...rts-battery-2/

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode