Fuel Strip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2019, 4:38 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Fuel Strip

My fuel strip died last fall about a year after the 12 year extended warranty expired. This summer I finally got around to zapping it in attempt to rejuvenate it.
I pulled the tank three different times and zapped it. The best I managed was to get the strip to work about 50% of the time. So, last week I bit the bullet
and had a new strip installed. At least BMW is warrantying it for two years. I did bring the failed strip home as I wanted to dissect it to see what might make
it tick. Heck, maybe even repair it. The strip actually came apart with very little effort. The first pic shows what it looks like except for length which is about
18-20 inches long. The second pic shows the damaged area. Not even a clear break, just a "displacement" that maybe was shorting it out. Obviously not
something to be repaired, but interesting. The damaged spot is in the center of the second pic. Sorry for the lack of quality of the pics.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1(4).jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	25543   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	25545  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Noob

Fuel strip

Hey jpel. I’ve read many stories about fuel strips failing but was never sure whether that meant they lost accuracy or totally or intermittently failed to read. Mine - 08 k12r - reads inaccurately in that it has around 3 litres left with the 4bars for empty on the gauge but it is consistent. What was yours doing and what did it show on the gauge when it wasn’t working?

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain

Last edited by Capt howdy; Oct 30th, 2019 at 7:12 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Maybe some liquid solder from a tube (cold)?
Another frustrating idea that did not work. I thought for sure the boys at home would come up with a float kit replacement but no.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2019, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

When the strip wasnt working, there is a yellow Triangle in the display above the lcd display. In addition, in the upper left of the lcd display there is a flashing fuel warning and there is no level indicator on the left side. When it would come back on it would be grossly inaccurate as the new strip hadnt been calibrated. As far as trying to repair the affected portion of the circuit, that would take some very small tools and a great steadiness as the circuit is very small and very closely packed. Repair was on my mind until I saw how tight everything is.

Jim
Capt howdy likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 8:45 am
Noob

Had mine replaced yesterday (08) - got the bike in Jan 19. This is the second one in a few months... original gauge was reading inaccurate. Showed half tank when in fact it was empty. The second one, installed under warranty, worked for the ride home. After that, it simply showed zero fuel and the gas icon would blink above the fuel level. Well see how the next one goes...

Dealer told me that they were informed by bmw the issues are from ethanol in our fuel. I run ethanol free fuel in everything we own so technically should have zero issues moving forward. We have a lot of gas stations with it locally due to all the boating near us.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2019, 7:34 am
Noob

fuel strip woes

The fuel strip on my 07 went south on me last year in the fall. I just began keeping up with mileage to know when to get gas. I was riding one afternoon in 20 degree weather and hit a bump. The light on the dash went off and the fuel strip began showing about half of a tank. I was excited that it had fixed itself, but I knew it was wrong due to my mileage. Turned out that the amount of gas showing that was wrong stayed wrong after filling with gas. I thought it could be calibrated, but the dealer said, "no". A replacement was installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode