50 State Emissions Legal? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

50 State Emissions Legal?

I live in CA. In general, we are not allowed to bring used vehicles into the state with less than 7500 miles unless the vehicle meets CA smog requirements. Does anybody know if BMW motorcycles from other states meet the CA standards? Does the emissions sticker on out of state bikes say "meets federal and California emissions"?

Thanks,

Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash1034
I live in CA. In general, we are not allowed to bring used vehicles into the state with less than 7500 miles unless the vehicle meets CA smog requirements. Does anybody know if BMW motorcycles from other states meet the CA standards? Does the emissions sticker on out of state bikes say "meets federal and California emissions"?
Thanks, Flash
I'm 98.98759% sure that all newer model BMW motorcycles that were sold in the U.S. by an authorized dealer are 50 state legal.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2006, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5lam
I'm 98.98759% sure that all newer model BMW motorcycles that were sold in the U.S. by an authorized dealer are 50 state legal.

I need to be 100% sure so I dont get screwed by the great state of CA. Can someone from out of state look at their emissions sticker to see if it says it meets CA requirements?

Thanks,

Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:57 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:

Thanks,

Flash
flash,

if you are buying a bike from out of state, just ask the seller to read the emmission label to you - if it states california you are home free.

regards,

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
www.evoluzione.net
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Quote:
I need to be 100% sure so I dont get screwed by the great state of CA. Can someone from out of state look at their emissions sticker to see if it says it meets CA requirements?

Thanks,

Flash
Can never be 100% of anything in life except death.
I'm sure the CA DMV can answer your question if you know the VIN. But I can't be 100% sure about that either.
Sorry
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2013, 9:58 pm
Noob

k1200r is legal in California

I just bought an out of state 2006 BMW K1200R and had it registered to me in California. The 50 state including California emissions sticker is under the seat. The DMV will also need the VIN number which is on the vertical frame by the clutch cover and they will need the Federal Safety Certification sticker which is located at the bottom of the engine and can be seen when looking at the bike from the rear on the exhaust site.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2013, 1:31 am

Emissions re BMW Motorcycles

There are no current emissions requirements for used motorcycles in California according to two separate test services companies in Poway and one in Escondido. There has been numerous efforts by Sacramento to enact such tests, but each has failed by substantial margins. New motorcycles, however, are required to meet all CARB restrictions.
Go get that bike and enjoy!
EJ
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2013, 6:17 pm
Rookie

Have you gone to the DMV yet? I have bought 2 used and no matter what they want to see the emissions sticker, it will say "50 States certified" which is what they want to see

They can validate or look-up anything about your make/model

Also, Find all of your VIN's and certification stickers before you go, they are no help

I bought a 2005 K1220S and I expected the 50 States sticker to be on or underneath the seat, that's where it was on my K1300GT but it ended up being on the frame down by the swingarm pivot point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode