BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Exhaust Options for K1200S

6K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Fried_Chicken 
#1 ·
I am looking for exhaust options for my 2006 K1200S. I'm not looking for any improvement to performance, but rather would like a better sounding and nicer looking exhaust slip on. There doesn't seem to be too many options out there. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks,

Bone

#2 ·
Check EBay regularly, Remus Hexcone is one of the nicer and well made. Use caution as to what you buy, Two Brothers is nasty loud and needs packing. There are others. Keep in mind the K13 has a different header end length and will not work unless your willing to have some welding done. And as a benefit, on my K13 when I went to a Remus Hex the dyno difference was +4.5 HP which is not common. More often you lose power. If you ever see a Stayintune, buy it, superior. At the moment I see two on EBay that look okay but most there will not fit or who knows what else. Don't buy something that makes you cut off your spherical connection. Check with beemer boneyard and other bike break up sources, even look in Germany as it is worth it even with the shipping from Europe.
This will fit and it is new. Akro is a trusted brand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Akrapovic-...794787?hash=item26148198a3:g:XlMAAOSwo0JWFmPG

#9 ·
I had a Remus shorty on my K1200R, but sadly they are no longer made. It had a very rorty sound. Not obnoxiously loud, but very aggressive. The full length on my K1200R Sport was noticeably tamer. The Akropovic on my K1300S is in the same sound category as the Remus Shorty. However, comparing a K1200S and a K1300S might be comparing apples to oranges in regards to sound characteristics.

#11 ·
BHNW, if you have not bought a silencer yet, this post above with the Staintune is the best unit. They are so well made it is amazing. Not too loud but nice music, look great with a classic style. Never wear out, no packing to mess with. Really good. I would have bought one for my K13 but not available.

#12 ·
Derrennfahrer. I see you are a new poster. In general it is better to have someone reply to you via private message (PM) It is a hassle but better than publishing your email and phone number on the web. You can exchange contact info there. Thank you for offering up your Staintune pipe. It is superior. I hope the original poster goes for it or someone with K1200S bike.

#16 ·
Staintune were an Australian business who nearly disappeared from the market after the owners wanted to retiire. It was resurrected when a company called Torqit bought it.
Unfortunately they only make a bmw pipe for the gs1250

#18 ·
I have an Akrapovic that sounds great but...... in my 2005 I use a K13 exhaust that also sounds great in my opinion... yes, it is heavy but I keep my Cat Converter and back pressure. I know having an Akra and using OEM sounds stupid but I like it this way... 🤷‍♂️

#19 ·
There’s a post on the forum very recently of someone that fitted a MIVV exhaust and they’re very happy with it . Ive tried to find it but a more thorough search may help. I mentioned there that if I couldn’t find a Remus I’d have fitted a MIVV.

#20 ·
If you you're looking for an alterative, I just installed a delkevic 200mm on my k12s recently. I've only had experience with Scorpion on my other bikes prior to this one, but I'm very impressed with the quality by comparison. It's only been a few weeks but so far the bike runs great with no tune or re-flash. In terms of sound, it's definitely a big step up in noise if that's what you're looking for. I've had no complaints from neighbours so far, but I'd say it's as loud as you want to go with a slip on before getting into trouble. If you keep the revs low it's not too loud and has a nice deep rumble.

#21 · (Edited)
Boneheadnw,

I went this way with my 2005 and loved it.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

I took this off when I sold it and think I still have this setup out in the garage. Not sure if you’re interested. PM me if you have an interest and I can go find it and take a picture.

The positives are, no rejecting (like most slip ones for the K12’s), you can remove the rear wheel without having to disconnect the pipe which was great for tire changes, and it had a nice sound without being obnoxious.

El Barto

#26 ·
Years ago, I sent a stock K1300S muffler to Jet Hot Coating and had it ceramic coated to match the frame. Looked okay and better than the lump of chrome on an otherwise well finished cycle. It disappeared with the Panniers installed.

#29 ·
Jet Hot Coating does a lot of performance auto exhausts, aviation, and military work last time I was in touch. It has been a long while. They etched a serial number on the mounting flange (had to make sure it wasn't on the sealing surface) which is the certification for repair or recoat if there is a problem. First effort on mine it had a slight greenish tint. Sent it back for recoat at no charge. I never had any problem with it after that. If you had the motivation, You could probably get a whole system done.