2Likes
  • 1 Post By jkaiser
  • 1 Post By rossmon1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2019, 9:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Reset fuel burn / ignition data on K12S

Hey All,

I thought I'd share the experience of my recent trip to the local BMW dealer. I bought my 2008 K12S with 26K miles on it about 3 months ago and spent 6 weeks servicing the crap out of every component on the bike. In the process I removed a power commander, re-installed the stock air filters and snorkels that the previous owner had ditched, and a host of the typical service items like plugs, coils, coolant, oil & filter, final drive, etc.

I had the bike running pretty well but still had an off throttle gallop that was somewhat annoying. Trying to move along in 2nd gear at 2500 RPM (such as in traffic) was a bit disappointing from a performance standpoint. In any case, I did some research and it seems a lot of people suffer this issue and I just chalked it up as a characteristic of the K12 engine. I tried using Liqui-Moly fuel system cleaner to clean the valves / injectors, and even installed a manual cam chain tensioner. But after about 2000 miles, nothing really seemed to make much difference so I accepted it and moved on.

As part of my upgrades, I installed a host of LED lights and took the bike to my local dealer to have the CAN reprogrammed to accept the new voltages. While it was there, the service manager recommended resetting the fuel burn/ignition timing data as a best practice. I had never thought about this but agreed it would be great to let the computer re-learn these figures now with all the recent changes I had made. The service manager said they recommend resetting them with every major (24K mile??) service. When I took the bike out after reprogramming/resetting, it was like night and day. The off-idle gallop was completely gone and the bike felt much smoother and more powerful. Throttle response improved substantially at all speeds but especially down low in the RPM range. Oddly, the overall change makes the bike feel much lighter and more responsive overall. I'm so glad the service manager recommended the reset, they also reset my service reminder at the same time. In the end, they did the whole job in about 30 mins while I waited and charged me $63 total.

Probably the best deal ever for the amount of difference it made in the bike. Side bonus, my LEDs don't trigger CAN warnings anymore
Beech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2019, 6:45 pm
Noob

Thanks for the writeup! Always great to have owners that share info! Too bad our old site that Vic ran is down. It seemed like there was a lot more of this there for k12S & 13S owners.
Beech likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2019, 12:59 am

Let's put our skills together and take the time to make this sight technically great. The more information shared the better. Reference material is derived from skilled posts that have follow up and detailed information.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode