New (to me) K1200S Owner - checking in - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2020, 11:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

New (to me) K1200S Owner - checking in

Good day and Happy New Year to all!
Steve here, been riding since '97, but mostly cruisers, but got a taste of "Sport-Touring" or probably rather "Touring-Sport" with my F6B, Isleen.
In 4.5 years we've got 125,000 miles on her odo and just having a blast.
But I never got into sport bikes and have been wanting to learn.

I'm an MSF Rider Coach, but I do not have a badge in my vest nor a 'Supreme Court Justice' robe in my closet.
I flew 53s for the US Marine Corps for 20+ years.
I'm easy, but not cheap...

So...a friend of a friend of a friend's (literally) husband passed and she had to sell his 2008 K1200S with 2340 miles on it...along with his vintage race car collection.
This guy knew vehicles and was VERY particular about cleanliness. He was also a Marine. Connections were made and I went to look at it.
Very concerned about seals & tires & recalls & ABS etc...

I got a great deal on this bike and after getting her tagged & titled yesterday, I took off on a 15 minute shakedown. Oh lolololololololololololol......
Noticed a front brake reservoir leak (underside seal?) and wiped everything down.
Came out later, no static seepage, so took her on a 60 mile venture in the NW Florida farming landscape.
What a hoot!
Very slight seepage from the brake reservoir this time.

Anyway, I'm here to learn & discover.
Cheers,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2020, 7:40 pm
Noob

Welcome aboard!

As an additional duty, I was Chief Instructor and ran the MSF program while stationed at Ellsworth AFB. It was very rewarding and a lot of fun.

Not sure about your master cylinder leak, but it shouldnt be long before others chime in with a cause and solution. Ive owned a couple K1200s. Some people have had issues with cam chains, clutches and rear ends, but there is a fix for just about all these problems. If this is your first BMW, you might want to go to Max BMW and look at the classic parts listing to get an idea of how things go together. Beemer Boneyard is where you can get proper metal fuel tank fittings when the need arises.

K bikes are a hoot, and its a shame BMW walked away from the four cylinder versions just as they were starting to get their act together.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 12:27 am

It will be hard to see if it is the lid gasket or the base. You need to do a complete set of fluid changes anyway, brakes will be part of that. In addition to the Clymer manual, get the factory DVD. It has details that are good and you can print needed pages to take to the garage. The K12 is quite a hot rod. Not a particularly good city bike because of that. On the open road, is its home. At 2000 miles it is not broken in yet. Don't hold back. Trouble is your going at a good clip if you try and take it near red line in a few gears. You may want to lose the rocket ship silencer for a slip on Remus Hexcone. Not much louder and way lighter. (and smaller). Make friends with someone who owns a tire machine because you will be there on a regular basis. It probably has original tires on it so order up some Metzler M7 RR's and get them installed. Have fun.
That pesky brake fluid reservoir is only held on by a couple of small screws as I remember. The cap has some squeeze to remove parts too. There are a number of recalls and computer up dates your bike may need due to its long storage. Make friends at your BMW dealer and take the VIN number in. All work done by any dealer can be retrieved. Also there has been a change in the oil. Use a 5W40 motorcycle oil. Not the original 10W40. All new BMW's now come with synthetic oil in them except for a couple low displacement bikes. Take that as a serious hint.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 9:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for reply Sodak!
MSF is rewarding - love to see the 'light bulbs' go on when the students 'get it.'

Copy all, Beech! Thanks!
The bike actually came with the DVD, so that was cool.
I've ordered the reservoir gasket and will tackle that little monster when I change all the fluids.
I've made it to 8,000RPM but until I get all fluids changed and new tires, I'm gonna behave.
The tires were actually done in 2015, Pirelli's, so unfortunately, at 300 miles on them, they are just past expiry for time in service.
I've run the VIN through the NHTSA website and all 4 recalls have allegedly been taken care of.
I have documentation of an annual service in 2015 as well, so hopefully the computer isn't totally out of date.

Just waiting on parts!
Cheers,
Steve
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2020, 9:46 am

Garage
Welcome to K-bikes
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2020, 11:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Doug!
What year is your little girl in the pic?
Looks like we have twins!

2014 Honda F6B "Isleen"
2008 BMW K1200S " "
1995 HD Heritage Special "Saorla"

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
Thanks Doug!
What year is your little girl in the pic?
Looks like we have twins!
2008 and Yes we do LOL
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2020, 7:47 pm
Noob

A few things I would Do . . . .

53driver,

Welcome to K1200s. You read a lot of stuff on the web both good and bad about these bikes. I love mine. It actually looks good for a BMW and the power!
There a few things you probably need to do to upgrade some of the oversights and fixes.
1> Add the timing chain guide to eliminate the possibility of the timing chain jumping.
2> Update the timing chain tensioner to the new style. Some on the web use the aftermarket one, but the updated BMW works just fine. Gets rid of the rattling on start-up.
3> Get the latest K1300s clutch bushing with the 2 cut channels. This will allow more oil to get to the clutch which will extend the life of the clutch.
4> Change the brake fluid EVERY year if you want the ABS motor to last. BMW recommends every two years.
5> Replace the rear drive fluid and use the new recommended level (180ml not 220ml). This will prolong the rear drive life and less likely to leak due to built up pressure.
6> Use synthetic 10W-40 oil for the engine.
7> We (others on this site) are working on a permanent fix for the storied fuel strip. Stay tuned.
8> I talked to the guy at Wilbur's shocks this summer about new shocks and such. I was surprised to hear from him that the OEM shocks actually last longer than most say they do. New shocks are not cheap and choices are limited.
9> This summer I went to the rally at Lebanon Tenn. and Dunlop was having a great sell on tires. They have come out with a tire to compete with Michelin Pilots but a lot cheaper. I have had these tires since June and I can't tell the difference. I'm a Michelin guy, all my cars and other bikes have Michelin's on them, but I'm impressed with these tires. Dunlop Roadsmart III.

All suggestions you can look in to. There are a lot of carbon fiber bits you can add too. It's only money.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2020, 12:17 am

#2 is called the "jump guard"
#6 is correct, I was wrong suggesting 5W40, use the 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil, Castrol makes a Power 1 version but there are others like Motul or, go crazy and use OEM oil. (make friends with your dealer by buying something from him)
#7 is addressed here: https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/40-k1...p-thought.html
poster is probably involved. A great service to all riders!
#8, OEM shocks last 45 to 65K miles. Here is someone who will rebuild them. Suspension Services
#9 Metzler M7RR's rock.
There is a plug on the right side end of the crank, about the size of a silver dollar. open it and you will see the cam chain and drive sprocket. Below are photos. The one with the dark cresent to the right in photo #1 shows a jump guard in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug_view_001.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	25799   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug_view_002.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	25801  

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2020, 1:48 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
#2 is called the "jump guard"
#6 is correct, I was wrong suggesting 5W40, use the 10W40 synthetic motorcycle oil, Castrol makes a Power 1 version but there are others like Motul or, go crazy and use OEM oil. (make friends with your dealer by buying something from him).
Hey Beech. 5w 40 is BMWs recommendation and I am still using it 65000 miles later. I think that viscosity was to give greater oil flow to the clutch when starting up from cold.

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode