K1200s front ESA - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 10:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200s front ESA

Hi all,

I’ve just had my bike in for MOT test (UK) and the tester has advised me that my front end is bouncy.

The bike is an immaculate 2008 K1200s with 23K miles on it. The Bike seems to ride fine to me however I can see the front knuckle dancing around a bit when on bumpy roads.

There are no leaks and no faults on the dash. The ESA cycles through all modes no problem.

Should I be worried? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 1:31 pm

"I read on the 'net" to the effect that when the front knuckle is wearing out, you better d*mn well get it fixed or it will fix you. The bike is not immaculate if it has this issue and of course being a beemer it won't be cheap unless you do it yourself.

It's not really an ESA problem since (I don't think) it has to do with the innards of the shock. It's moving parts in the suspension that have reached or exceeded their wear limit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 1:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
"I read on the 'net" to the effect that when the front knuckle is wearing out, you better d*mn well get it fixed or it will fix you. The bike is not immaculate if it has this issue and of course being a beemer it won't be cheap unless you do it yourself.

It's not really an ESA problem since (I don't think) it has to do with the innards of the shock. It's moving parts in the suspension that have reached or exceeded their wear limit.
There is no play in any of the knuckle joints on the front suspension.

Could it possibly be the piston seal, which is on the "innards" of the shock?

Could it also possibly be that the front suspension is effected when the ignition is on or off which may have an influence on the position of the valve on the ESA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 11:56 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaman View Post
Hi all,

I’ve just had my bike in for MOT test (UK) and the tester has advised me that my front end is bouncy.

The bike is an immaculate 2008 K1200s with 23K miles on it. The Bike seems to ride fine to me however I can see the front knuckle dancing around a bit when on bumpy roads.

There are no leaks and no faults on the dash. The ESA cycles through all modes no problem.

Should I be worried? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Dear Honda man,

Kudos for keeping your bike well maintained, as now it's time for suspension quagmire....

I have the same ride without the ESA, as I'm sure you will be sticker shocked at the cost of replacing the front and/or rear units

All shocks are typically produced by the lowest bidder. Our beemers are no exception....

All shocks have a shelf life and all require time before overhaul (if serviceable) or time until end of service life.

Many folks have switched over to Wilbers and are able to interface BMW with relative ease and a 1 time dealer visit to flash bias.

If you should choose this path, then your shocks can be ordered with custom springs and calving for your rider weights, cargo, and particular riding map.

Be advised, you will devalue any bike by installing non ESA shocks in an ESA bike.

Choose wisely, and get the ride back you deserve on this wonderful German Bike.

Cherrs
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2020, 10:29 am

Garage
Esa shocks are servicable not matter what Bmw claims. send it to ESA Repair ? ESA Repair, professionals in the field of shock absorbers, JJ suspension in Holland. The people running that place are 2 former engineers from WP, they helped design this shock and can rebuild them from the ground up, much cheaper than getting aftermarket units wich will not interface with the K series esa system.

Jupp.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2020, 1:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for all the advice guys. Could it be as simple as a broken wire? That sub loom in the piece of sleeving from the bottom of the shock that disappears up under the fairing is held by a few tight cable ties that could cause issues perhaps.

I can’t hear the valve on the shock clicking as some have mentioned when cycling through comf-normal-sport with the engine off.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2020, 1:14 pm

These people in New Jersey will also rebuild your original shocks:
High Performance Motorcycle Suspension Sales and Service from EPM Performance Imports

I needed shocks just when folks in USA were starting to rebuild OEM units. I made the mistake of going with Wilber standard shocks from BeemerShop. They're okay but not what I would have hoped for. I mistakenly "donated" my old OEM shocks to them for exploration as to whether they wanted to set up rebuilding them, that was a waste of time and my OEM shocks. My Original OEM shocks lasted about 65K miles. At present my Wilbers die at about 25 to 30K miles.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2020, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ok quick update folks.

I had the right side panel off my bike this evening to check the ESA wiring from the loom to the shock. Although kinked at the cable ties there is no obvious physical damage, everything seems very clean in there.

With the engine off and cycling through the modes there is a noticeable noise from the rear suspension but a much fainter noise from the front, you have to put your ear right up to it.

Starting the bike when I step through the helmets and luggage on the ESA I can see the rear shock physically moving which is great. I don’t think this is supposed to effect the front.

With the engine running and bouncing the front end up and down with the front brake applied then cycling through comf-normal-sport I can definitely feel the damping firming up although subtle. Perhaps all is OK and the tester got it wrong after all????
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Garage
sounds OK then, the front does not have preload adjustment, hence it will not move up and down. If you hear a humming it means the electric motor is running and working if you feel a difference.

Jupp.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 7:20 pm
Noob

I have a 2007 K1200GT and at a service the Dealer found the a wire in the loom for the front ESA was broken. It felt much better afterwards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode