How Much Fairing Cutting for Center Stand Install? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2020, 6:19 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

How Much Fairing Cutting for Center Stand Install?

Hi, close to a deal on a 2016 Motorsport and pretty adverse to cutting the fairing on this model K13S. However, I'd like either the center stand or a Pitbull stand. Pitbull for the K13S is $250, the center stand about $350 installed by a dealer (outside my skill set). Sure is a lot more convenient to have a center stand than use the Pitbull----just not sure I want to have someone cutting on the fairing.

Anyone have a pic they can post of the cuts necessary to install the center stand?

Mike M
2020 R1250GSA - 2015 K1300S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2020, 1:14 am

The cuts are minor and are clearly marked on the inside of the belly pan. Free hand with a jig saw and fine blade does the job. Then a light sanding to de bur. The hardest part is stretching the spring and lining up the mounting bolts. There is no doubt in my mind that it is better than a paddock stand. Hard to come up with that Paddock stand on the road when you get a flat in the rear. (where 90% of flats happen). I take mine off once and a while to grease everything and I have a system. Thin chain spray to the joints works too. The left side of the belly pay is left fairly thin so always take that rear screw on that side out first when you are taking the pan off the bike. Good practice to do the other side the same way.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:16 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
The hardest part is stretching the spring and lining up the mounting bolts. .
I have a full carbon fiber belly which I take off during service and I re-install the factory center stand to perform the service.

The trick with the spring is " Install the R/S mounting bolt and bushing first than install the spring, than pivot the center stand to line up and install the L/S mounting bolt and bushing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2020, 12:10 pm

Yes, that is what I do but did not know a good way to describe it. I also use a piece of broom handle to lever the stand back to slip in the left side bolts then tighten it all up. Only takes a few moments. Something to do on a winter day around here. Thanks for chiming in.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2020, 1:49 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I owned a 2006 K1200S and have wanted to get a K13S for awhile as a second bike to my GS but kids in college--didn't happen. Now they've graduated and gave me a raise!

Still not 100% sure about the one I'm looking at. It's a 2016 MS with only 2500 miles. It's perfect (warranty just expired this month), just pretty expensive and I'm thinking there's lots of 2013-2015 models out there (now or this spring) with low miles that could be had for significantly less. After all, it's going to be a second bike that I will blast around on--probably 3000 miles per year.

Mike M
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Quote:
The cuts are minor and are clearly marked on the inside of the belly pan. Free hand with a jig saw and fine blade does the job. Then a light sanding to de bur. The hardest part is stretching the spring and lining up the mounting bolts. There is no doubt in my mind that it is better than a paddock stand. Hard to come up with that Paddock stand on the road when you get a flat in the rear. (where 90% of flats happen). I take mine off once and a while to grease everything and I have a system. Thin chain spray to the joints works too. The left side of the belly pay is left fairly thin so always take that rear screw on that side out first when you are taking the pan off the bike. Good practice to do the other side the same way.
This captures the process perfectly except for one thing; drink a shot of whiskey before you attempt the work. Trust me.

Seriously, it's very easy and is just like Beech describes and the whiskey will make you feel warm all over.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2020, 9:01 pm
Noob

Take the left and right belly panels to the dealership and have them do it for a few bucks with their special tools. It will look much better than a DIY.

Last edited by skeetermoto; Jan 15th, 2020 at 9:02 pm. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Hi, close to a deal on a 2016 Motorsport and pretty adverse to cutting the fairing on this model K13S. However, I'd like either the center stand or a Pitbull stand. Pitbull for the K13S is $250, the center stand about $350 installed by a dealer (outside my skill set). Sure is a lot more convenient to have a center stand than use the Pitbull----just not sure I want to have someone cutting on the fairing.

Anyone have a pic they can post of the cuts necessary to install the center stand?

Hey Mike,

I've got a Pitbull Stand I can ship you for $200. Let me know if you're interested.

Clay
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2020, 7:16 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Beech (or anyone else who has done it), could you take a pic or two of the cuts you made and post here? For me it’s not a matter of the job—it sounds pretty straightforward—it’s about if I want to cut on the bellypan at all. TIA!

Mike M

Last edited by MikeM; Jan 17th, 2020 at 7:24 am.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Garage
This is the cut pattern for the OEM center stand....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1579283222046.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	25857   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1579283265794.jpg
Size:	843.8 KB
ID:	25859   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1579283347036.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	25861   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1579283564200.jpg
Size:	702.7 KB
ID:	25863  
Beech likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode