New K1300S Owner - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2020, 7:01 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

New K1300S Owner

Hi all, I've been a member on this forum for awhile but not active for the past few years. In 2006, I owned a K1200S and then a 2007 K1200GT but I ended up selling the K12S after about 1 year and kept the K12GT for a few years. I've been wanting to get back on a K1300S.

Now that kids all graduated college, I wanted a second machine to park next to my GSA so I searched for awhile and got lucky to find a 2015 K13S in black with only 2200 miles. Already ordered up some accessories--saved money on some things that I found used online and a few new items----a Remus Ti Hexacone slip-on, BikePenR Nav mount and BMW cradle so I can swap over my Nav VI from the GSA, Throttlemeister, CSS tank pads, Pazzo shorty levers. I don't remember being this stoked to get a new (to me) bike in a long, long time.

Looking forward to being a regular around here to pick up on all the great information.

Mike

Mattias_r likes this.

Mike M
2020 R1250GSA - 2015 K1300S

Last edited by MikeM; Jan 27th, 2020 at 7:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2020, 12:24 am

Lucky guy. I too am looking for a newer Black K13. I have an 09 with 120,000 miles and it still loves me. But a back up bike would be nice. They will be friends in the shop. Good move on your part. The K13 is a special bike. Really nothing out there that makes it a looser in general. I once ran into a guy in Nevada, he said he had a Hayabusa and a K13 up to 160 mph and nailed the brakes. The BMW just stopped and the Hayabusa fought and shuddered. You have many miles ahead to enjoy.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2020, 10:25 am

Garage
Congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2020, 12:19 pm
Rookie

Mike,
I assume that the 1300 has all the updates to fix a lot of the quirks that my 2006 1200 had. I don't know if a 1300 has any of the hesitation, bucking, or other throttle issues but If it does I would get the booster plug and install it. I installed one on my bike and it straighten up almost all of the throttle type issues. It really works and I recommend it. My recommendation change your brake fluid once a year, change the final drive oil once a year to avoid service problems. Other than that, have fun and enjoy. Pretty bike.
du907
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW K1200S 1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	26023  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by du907 View Post
Mike,
I assume that the 1300 has all the updates to fix a lot of the quirks that my 2006 1200 had. I don't know if a 1300 has any of the hesitation, bucking, or other throttle issues but If it does I would get the booster plug and install it. I installed one on my bike and it straighten up almost all of the throttle type issues. It really works and I recommend it. My recommendation change your brake fluid once a year, change the final drive oil once a year to avoid service problems. Other than that, have fun and enjoy. Pretty bike.
du907
Agreed. The Booster Plug makes a somewhat-problematical fueling response a lot better. It makes the most difference at the smallest throttle openings, which makes the bike much much more driveable in town. And predictable as well. I use to sweat bullets making left turns in traffic when I would crack the throttle, feather the clutch, and .... the engine did not respond and I stalled it. Now the bike responds as it should. No issues in the last 4 years. I bought a 2015 K1300s MS in October 2014, added the booster switch the following spring.

Some other useful changes I've made:
1. Grip Puppies Only about $12, but they make the handlerbars fatter (better for my hands), and softer, and they soak up some more of the high RPM vibrations. A no-brainer.
2. Fiamm horn The weak 'meeper' is now a proper 'beeper'. Not really very loud, but the stock horn is a joke.
3. Switched power outlets I added a power distribution fusebox (it doesn't do anything other than hold fuses) under the seat. It has a 'trigger' wire hooked to the taillight such that the thing powers on and off with the bike, like a Canbus circuit. From there I added two outlets in the front fairing (in front of your hands), and I ran a connection to the heated seats as well.
4. Heated (Corbin) seats, front and rear - This depends on where you live and when you ride I guess, but I find it surprisingly useful and wonder how I ever got through cold weather in the past. Along with heated grips I've had a real eye-opened on how much better a bike could be with some heated bits. (I also have, but rarely use, an electric vest).
5. Tank bag I've long been a fan of tank bags, dating back to 1976, an R90s and an Eclipse bag. I find them the perfect place to put stuff on a bike as the weight is where it should be. I also love having a map pocket, and the BMW bag I'm using has a cell phone depression in the map compartment. I put a gate opening transmitter in there (gated community) and also my garage door opener. Now I press a button as I come to my gate and it opens. I then use the garage door opener as I'm coming to my house, just like the car. Inside the tank bag is a radar detector (Bluetooth to speakers in helmet so no wires), a tire repair/inflation kit, a change of gloves and a bunch of odds and ends.
6. Corbin back rest to go with Corbin seat. My late wife refused to ride the bike without it, fearing she would come right off the back if I accelerated suddenly.
7. Sport panniers I couldn't own this bike without bags. There is NO storage space on it without adding a bag of some kind. Want to buy ANYTHING at a store while on the bike? Need a bag...

A note on the tank bag. Unlike every other bike I've ever had, the K1300s has a weird wind pattern when the tank bag is mounted. It may be my height (6'2" with long torso) and/or lower Corbin seat, but there is a severe wind ripple that comes down my chest at speeds over 70mph. With my light summer jacket, the whole front ripples, and it does this severely. If I lean forward into the bag, no problem. If I lean back a ways (difficult to do with low bars), no problem. I solved the problem by taking a small waist bag and just hung it over the tank bag. Rotated the bag to the rear and it blocks that wind entirely. Rotate to the front in hot weather if I want more air flow. Easy peasy.

Some less-used stuff I added:
1. center stand I almost never use it, but when it's needed it is very handy. I used to have a K100rs (1985) for 30 years. If left on the side stand, it would smoke on start up. (Old timers know exactly what I mean.) So I used a center stand 100% of the time. Also made it easier to fuel. The K1300s doesn't smoke, and I have found no difference in fueling with the bike level or on the stand. About the only time I've used it in 4 years was when I had a flat tire on the road.
2. Luggage rack - Less used, except when I travel. I hate hanging weight off the rear end, and I use a tank bag instead of a tail trunk. The rack doesn't hold a lot, but it is appreciated when I tour. I like having the small BMW Softbag on there, but you have to remove the Corbin backrest to fit it. My late wife liked it as a backrest if it was packed reasonably full.

Stuff I'm thinking of doing:
1. Poking a hole in the gas filler tube inside the tank, so it will fill quicker. This is -by far- the slowest bike I've ever had for filling the tank, and it's only a 5-gallon tank at that.
2. Some sort of LED headlight These don't seem sorted out yet for motorcycle use. Nothing I've seen is completely plug-n-play, basically involving locating a ballast or dealing with cooling. As I live in a very hot climate (Phoenix), I'm concerned about my lights overheating and shutting down.
3. Some sort of GPS - If I had Verizon, I could possibly use a cell phone for GPS in the country - but I have Tmobile. Also, when I have tried to use the phone inside the tank bag map pocket for GPS purposes, it overheats, the display LCD turns black, and it shuts itself down to cool off. A huge problem with the BMW GPS (besides the price) is the mounting location, which seems to be right where my tank bag needs to sit.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2020, 1:29 pm

The 2015 will have the new air box and must computer updates. I have heard of a few of the newer K's having some driveability issues but not many. The K12 engine design and fueling was okay on the highway but a handful in town. K13 was designed on purpose to eliminate as much as possible the K12 problems. I too have a "booster plug" which fools the computer reading the incoming air temperature by making it 20*C cooler. I personally think it makes a huge difference. Some will say the bike will over ride it after a while. Has yet to do it in 8 years. Do run the best brand name gas you can find, always premium. Change all fluids regularly. I have a black board in the shop with all the vehicles listed and service information at hand. Then log books for the more detailed work. I think farkles are personal and I seldom suggest any. I have thoughts on which ones are better than others but still...
Okay, I have one must do. Install a DIN socket somewhere under your leg on a frame there wired directly to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. You will need this for heated clothes and an air pump. The OEM sockets are only 5 amps, regulated by the bike computer.

Mount Vernon, WA.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2020, 7:08 pm
Noob

Congrats - beautiful bike!

The K13S is an AMAZING motorcycle. Together with your new GSA and the Colorado mountains, you are set for miles of smiles. It's a good thing you don't have to write those college tuition checks anymore - you may not be around the office much.

Safe Travels

Mike
Dallas, Texas
2009 K1300S
2012 R1200GSA
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2020, 4:35 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I’m a big Corbin seat fan but the KS may be the only BMW I’ve owned that had a stock seat that was comfortable for me on llonger rides. I’ve always preferred a tailbag over a tank bag—and this K13 has the rear luggage grid. I would like a center stand but may go with a Pitbull stand since I typically only use it in the garage. As far as the Booster plug, I’ll see how things go and add it later if needed.

Mike M
2020 R1250GSA - 2015 K1300S
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2020, 9:52 am
Noob

Yo, Mike!
I was going to ask for pictures of the bike, but you beat me to it. That thing is gorgeous. If you ever decide you want panniers, get them in Europe and have them shipped over. You will save nearly 50%.

ZOOMIE
2015 K1300S
2016 R1200RS
FREE STATE OF IDAHO
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2020, 1:47 pm

One more thought on center stands. They really help if you have a flat on the road. Rear tire flats are the majority as the front usually flips up the offending object for perfect damage to the rear.

Mount Vernon, WA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode