OEM Standard Height Seat -Adjustment? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2020, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

OEM Standard Height Seat -Adjustment?

Question...I have a 34-35” inseam and don’t want to go with peg lowering on my K1300S and lose ground clearance. Has anyone shimmed up the seat mounting posts to get another half inch or more seat height with the OEM standard seat?

Below looks like there is a half inch or inch there (first pic) if I raise the mounting posts (second pic). Anyone done this?

Mike M
2020 R1250GSA - 2015 K1300S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2020, 11:21 am
Rookie

Hey, Mike!

That was a mod suggested on the old I-BMW forum. Iím 6í 2Ē, and I tried it for your reasons and to stop sliding into the tank. In a nutshell, it is not the ideal solution. If you raise the seat up too far, it will flex/bend under your weight. Also, most peg lowering devices drop the pegs about 1 1/4 inches, so you would need a stack of washers and maybe longer bolts. There are several peg relocation schemes running in price from $100.00 to over $200.00. Iím currently throwing money at this problem now and did so on my previous two K1200 machines. Pirateís Lair sells a couple of options. In addition, Knight Industries and Suburban Machine offer options.

One of the problems with applying a fix for an ergonomic issue is that you create new ergonomic issues. Most peg lowering options move the pegs to the outboard making it difficult to reach the shifter, rear brake and side stand. I am currently planning to try the Suburban Industries kit and will try to sell a Verholen kit I am currently using.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2020, 7:44 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Your post is what I’d heard from others as well. Shimming them up creates rocking of the seat when riding aggressively. I can’t go with peg lowering kits—-don’t want to lose clearance and your point on shifter/brake relocation is also a negative affect.

I’ve decided to go forward with the stock setup. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
Hey, Mike!

That was a mod suggested on the old I-BMW forum. I’m 6’ 2”, and I tried it for your reasons and to stop sliding into the tank. In a nutshell, it is not the ideal solution. If you raise the seat up too far, it will flex/bend under your weight. Also, most peg lowering devices drop the pegs about 1 1/4 inches, so you would need a stack of washers and maybe longer bolts. There are several peg relocation schemes running in price from $100.00 to over $200.00. I’m currently throwing money at this problem now and did so on my previous two K1200 machines. Pirate’s Lair sells a couple of options. In addition, Knight Industries and Suburban Machine offer options.

One of the problems with applying a fix for an ergonomic issue is that you create new ergonomic issues. Most peg lowering options move the pegs to the outboard making it difficult to reach the shifter, rear brake and side stand. I am currently planning to try the Suburban Industries kit and will try to sell a Verholen kit I am currently using.

Mike M

Last edited by MikeM; Feb 9th, 2020 at 7:50 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2020, 3:07 pm
Rookie

I believe you mentioned getting an aftermarket seat. You might want to give Sargent a call and ask if they can make a taller seat for you. I bought a Corbin for my Guzzi and had no problems, but others have reported customer service issues. Frankly, unless you plan on using it for track days, I canít see how you would run out of ground clearance on the street, but Iím old and slow.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:17 am
Noob

Same issue here, I'm 6'4. I have the "high" seat, but it's not much help. My biggest issue was my ankles were at an odd angle which made it uncomfortable. I did end up getting lowering pegs and this was very helpful. I had the same concern about clearance, but I haven't noticed any problems. Well designed peds should have a spring loaded pivot joint to allow for give under cornering. My biggest issue is the placement of the shifter and brake. Both need extensions to make the ergonomics work. I believe you can buy an extender for the clutch, but the brake may take some creativity.
As previously discussed, I agree that shims just aren't a good solution. I thought about an aftermarket seat as well, but I think a cheaper and probably better option would be to take the seat to an upholstery shop and have more padding added along with a new cover to match.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:56 am
Rookie

Hornig makes shifter and brake pedal extensions. The Verholen pedal lowering kit includes a bracket that lowers the brake pedal which has no factory provision for adjustment. If you use this kit, be sure the rear brake is not being activated by the brake lever bracket which is included in the Verholen kit. Check the brake light is off until you push the brake pedal. New parts to repair my damaged caliper, pads and disk would cost about $3000.00. I fixed my dumb assed mistake with used parts and a repaired wheel for about $600.00. Apparently the Suburban Machine kit keeps the stock peg and brake lever orientation. Iím waiting to install the kit as soon as new pegs arrive.

The problem with fixing one ergonomic issue is that a new issue pops up. With both the Verholen and Suburban Machine kits, you will likely be unable to access the kick stand with your foot unless you ride barefoot or have a swivel surgically installed in your ankle. No, a K1300GT kick stand does not work. Entirely different animal. BMW really screwed the pooch on this one. I lean down and put my kick stand down by hand like an idiot. Knight Design foot pegs might not have this issue. Iíve used them once, but donít recall if there is a kick stand problem. Good luck, and keep us posted on your solution.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Went another route. Ordered a Sargent dual seat and paid extra to have them build in an extra inch seat height. I've done this on Corbin seats I've ordered and it gives just the little bit needed for that extra legroom.

By the way, Sargent has a Presidents Day special going on that helped push me over the edge and order. 15% off and free shipping. Pretty nice deal. Saved over $100 total.

Mike M
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 9:50 am
Rookie

So far, Sargent customer Service has been great. I, too, gave up trying to find a reasonably priced used seat and bought a seat and pod. The first time I sat on it, I thought it was almost Corbin hard, but as I’ve ridden it more, it seems to adapt to my nether regions allowing them to “Crack a Smile!”!

I bought my K1300S intending to keep it stock, and now I’ve dropped over $1000.00 in farkles It’s only money.
Interested to hear how you like the seat mod and pictures.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 11:07 am
Rookie

So far, Sargent customer Service has been great. I, too, gave up trying to find a reasonably priced used seat and bought a seat and pod. The first time I sat on it, I thought it was almost Corbin hard, but as Iíve ridden it more, it seems to adapt to my nether regions allowing them to ďCrack a Smile!Ē!

I bought my K1300S intending to keep it stock, and now Iíve dropped over $1000.00 in farkles Itís only money.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 1:07 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
So far, Sargent customer Service has been great. I, too, gave up trying to find a reasonably priced used seat and bought a seat and pod. The first time I sat on it, I thought it was almost Corbin hard, but as Iíve ridden it more, it seems to adapt to my nether regions allowing them to ďCrack a Smile!Ē!

I bought my K1300S intending to keep it stock, and now Iíve dropped over $1000.00 in farkles Itís only money.
I know what you mean. Iíd hoped being a second bike for me Iíd be happy with it mostly stock. Who was I BS-ing? 😜.

Sargent seat, Remus slip-on (did find a used one on eBay), GPS Mount for my Nav VI and assorted small things (tank pads, Pazzo levers, some CF bits, black billet gas cap) and Iím over a grand myself.

Like you said, itís only money!

Mike M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode