2007 K1200GT with Coolant Expansion Overflow Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2020, 10:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2007 K1200GT with Coolant Expansion Overflow Problem

Hi everyone
I am new to this forum, I just bought this bike, and I have an issue, the Bike runs great, it does not over heat, like I ran the bike for about 20-25 mins in center stand, it never went over mid way on the gauge (2 bars ) . And the fan comes on and off, now the here is issue, when the fan comes on the coolant starts coming out of drain line on the expansion tank line, and as soon as the fan stops, the coolant stop coming out of expansion drain line!!! , there is what I know the previous owner recently replaced the radiator with used one ( the new cost around $1000 !!!) , this was prior to my purchase, and when I called his indy shop, trying to find out the issue I was told there is possibility radiator is wrong one for the bike or blown head gasket ! Well the part number on radiator is 7 690 643 35/2007 , I called local BMW dealership , and the radiator for K12 and K13GT are the same, so assumption of wrong radiator I don't believe is correct, and as far as blown head gasket, I did not see any oil in coolant or coolant in oil, and when bike was running there is no smokes coming from pipe, and the fact that bike ran for 25 min without overheating let me believe the head gasket should be ok. So either the used radiator is defective although there is no evidence of leaks, but it could be flow issue????? Radiator cap issue??? Thermostat problem??? water pump ??? Air trapped in system???

Like As I said the gauge stays at two bar(in middle) So not sure why I am losing coolant when the fan kicks in? So any input will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Joe Abedini; Feb 7th, 2020 at 10:34 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2020, 12:35 am

Garage
I would start with test system for leaks. Requires vacuum equipment, around $30 on ebay and a compressor.

Empty the system from coolant and plug off the drain under the bike, pinch off the thin line going from radiator cap to expansiontank.
Then draw a vacuum, it should hold negative pressure unchanged for at least 5 minutes.

If all good, i would pull the thermostat and test it in boiling water on the stove, measure temp and see when it opens and shuts.

Most likely is the thermostat being bad or incorrectly installed. Reason it pours when fan kicks in is that that is when engine is warmest. I would also test the tempgauge, either could be bad or there is air that makes it read wrong.

This engine NEED to be filled with vacuum method, it is sensitve and no matter what some dumbasses say, IMPOSSIBLE to bleed the system from air without it. Doing this wrong can cause local spots where it overheats with risk of cracks.

Contact the shop and ask what method they used for refilling the coolant, also ask what exact brand and type of coolant used, bmw engines MUST use NAP free coolant, specification for bmw motorcycles is BMW GS94000.
Do not confuse this with Bmw N600.69 0 wich is for bmw cars that have different alloys in engine thus need different corrossionprohibitors.

Jupp.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2020, 2:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you Mattias_r , for your input, funny thing is I did order vacuum equipment for Ebay I guess I was on right track , I should get it today. what you said it make sense , I was sort of thinking the same thing, quick question , you said I should also test a tempgauge, how can I test it? do you mean them sensor on the engine block? again thank you
Mattias_r likes this.

Last edited by Joe Abedini; Feb 9th, 2020 at 9:27 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2020, 4:28 am

Garage
I remember from another forum, that someone accidentally swapped the radiator cap with the expansion tank cap and his bike was pissing fluid when hot.

Your bike is a 2007 bike. So the radiator cap would be without a spring.
Your expansion tank cap should have a spring on it.

And yes, the part number from the radiators are the same for a K12/K13.
But the radiator caps have two versions depending on the cooling system type.
The shop could have bought an 05-06 radiator and unknowingly installed the wrong radiator caps.

An 05-06 system is the non flow through expansion tank setup. (The coolant fluid is not being recirculated through the expansion tank)
From late 06-present day the system was changed so that the fluid is now fully circulated through the expansion bottle.

First photo is an 05-06 system
Round bottle cap, and a radiator cap with spring.

Second photo is 07-present.
Bottle cap with spring, and a radiator cap with no spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C3646B60-7726-4878-B10B-E906BB38E04E_1581157535911.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	606.7 KB
ID:	26109   Click image for larger version

Name:	EAB95497-577C-4650-9AA2-96AD6B5D2DBB_1581157559512.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	26111  
flyingkiwi likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2020, 10:51 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you Partriqe83 for the heads up, but from sticker the rad is 2007 and the caps looks like correct see the photos, there is two different radiator cap was made for that radiator P/N 17117695413 which has no Bar indication mark on the cap and Expansion tank Part is P/N 17117687715 which has 1.8 Bar indication mark on the cap according to BMW dealership, and thermostat PN is 17111464975

As Mattias_r direction is more logical but one never know if radiator cap is failing could cause it? any more suggestion? thanks

Last edited by Joe Abedini; Feb 9th, 2020 at 9:27 pm.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2020, 5:38 pm
Rookie

Hey Joe. (Sounds like a song). The thermostats were problematic on the early Ks. Mine did the same thing.

It's so nice to be insane No one asks you to explain
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2020, 6:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you Capt howdy I am waiting to some tools that I ordered to come in today , and will pressure test the system and also test the thermostat as Mattias_r said in boiling water to see it works or not!! I want fix it right way , rather throw parts at it

BTW there is link short video I made as you can see as soon as fan kicks in starts spitting coolant and when fan stops the coolant stop come out of drain line!!!! .

https://youtu.be/yjY1Yszo82w

Last edited by Joe Abedini; Feb 9th, 2020 at 9:39 pm.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2020, 9:38 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Update
I think I found the problem thanks to direction of Mattias_r and Capt howdy I think the problem is thermostat, (I removed it also Plastic housing) and put it boiling water the needle moved little (which I think that means it opened), but when I put in cold water for about 3-5 min, the needle it does NOT retract stay in the same position !!! so I also tried pushed the needle by force which it did retract , and then put it boiling water, again it did expand , and with cold water nothing stay the same position, so I can only assume it is bad thermostat , today being Sunday, the dealership in my area , is closed Sunday and Monday, so I have to get on Tuesday, Also still waiting to get tool that I ordered from eBay so I can pressurized the system for my piece of mind, so stay tuned!!!

BTW can anyone tell me the radiator holds how many litters of coolant? thanks

Mattias_r likes this.

Last edited by Joe Abedini; Feb 9th, 2020 at 9:45 pm.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe abedini View Post
btw can anyone tell me the radiator holds how many litters of coolant? Thanks
2.55 Liters, 50/50 mix
Mattias_r likes this.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
2004 Honda CBR600RR - gone

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 2020, 12:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you TF1200RT quick reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode