Tires,,,,I know another tire thread - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 5:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Tires,,,,I know another tire thread

Hello All,

Sorry, but i've searched the site for what everyone is now changing over to for tires. They come out with so many each year it's hard to keep up with what guys are now running in the past year. I'm a touring guy that has a fast right wrist when i see curves in the road and I don't use too many interstates.

I'm taking off the Metzler M3's that are just old (5 yrs old, date stamp). They have tread left on them but were on it when I purchased the K1300 S last spring. 5000 miles now on the front and I don't know how many on the rear but it was replaced,,,,a chip on the rim gave it away. But you could tell when i purchased the K last yr that it did not match the date stamp to the front tire.

I stopped at Cycle Gear today and the fellow wants me to try Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT's. ( Is everyone running "A" spec tires on these now or standard). I normally don't buy GT/A spec. tires for my K bikes. I had my heart set on the Pirelli Angel GT's but he said the NEW design of the Michelins shed water very well and can be used for track days because of the way they designed the outer edges of the tire with no tread. Looks to me a lot of stones can be stored in those deep groves but what he said did make sense, right that's his job to sell me something. No, he's a pretty good guy, each time i've stopped there we've had some pretty good conversations and he has steered me correctly each time.

Tough finding a deal of tires for these things anymore. Gee, I used to run off a set of soft compound tires in a weekend trip to the Appalachians and not think twice about the $200.00 for both tires mounted and and I would balance them. NOW, that's doesn't cover the back tire.

Oh well, fun has it's costs. But really what are you fellows running these days. Anyone loving there Michelin Pilot 5 GT's or do you hate them.

Thank you for your replies. I know it's another tire thread. Delete this one and send me to a current thread if you are too tired of new tire threads.

Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2020, 1:24 am
Noob

Pirelli Angel GT's here. I'm amazed you got that kind of mileage on the stock M3's, which don't have a dual-compound rear. Mine barely lasted 3,000 miles. Replaced with the Angel GT's, and I'm sold on them. Have put four sets on so far, and looking forward to the new version of the GT's. 2015 K1300s MS, 25,000 miles currently.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2020, 7:45 am
Noob

Dunlop "Q3 plus"

Multi compound tread, w/reinforced sidewalls. 38 front/42 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2020, 8:23 am

Garage
Pirelli Angel GT's here also.... and there A spec's
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2020, 8:27 am Thread Starter
Rookie

So fellows are you both agreeing that a GT tire is best for our K bikes? I hesitate to put a GT tire on these especially if you ride one up. I’m not out doing track days each week but do like to run it on in the curves. I’m not saying I can out ride the performance of any tire but I thought the Metzlers M3’s were sort hard. I thought they were a bit choppy in the knee dragging corners. That’s why I’m afraid to go GT. I just always associate GT tires with FJR and larger touring bikes.

Last edited by magellan444; Mar 4th, 2020 at 8:33 am.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2020, 10:06 am
Noob

Magellan,
I'm in the same boat. Bike sold to me with 5 year old tires - Pirelli Diablo Rossi.
Less than 500 miles on them when I bought the bike. Put 2500 miles on them in 2 months and they do run well, but I'm looking for new rubber because of the 5 year old date stamp.

The different brands tires that have been "recommended to me from various sources":
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT or 5 GT - the new tread pattern seems to be "the buzz"
Metzler M7 RR
Dunlop RoadSmart 3 - "just as good as the Pilot Road, but less expensive"
Pirelli Angel GT/A - you read the above posts
Bridgestone BT014 & BT0023 -
Continental Road Attack / Sport Attack

Your question of "to GT or to not GT" on a bike that is definitely (at least in my mind) more of a sport bike vice a touring bike depends upon how you will be using it.
I'm keeping GT because mine will definitely see highway mileage when I go to Dallas from NW Florida to visit my folks. Your usage will vary.

So yes...another tire thread - and I'm following it quite closely.
Cheers,
Steve

2014 Honda F6B "Isleen"
2008 BMW K1200S "Lena"
1995 HD Heritage Special "Saorla"

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2020, 1:44 am
Addict

Seems a few of us with the same issue - low mileage bikes with original hoops. I have just purchased a set of Bridgestone BT016 for my 1300R and although the oem metzlers still had plenty of life in them, I felt at 5 years they were getting a bit old. The BT016ís are awesome! I use this bike primarily as a solo ride and look for the twisty back roads which suit the tires perfectly. Have only done a couple of hundred kís on them but very happy so far.
I have a set of Michelin PR5ís on my K1200RS. This is a much heavier bike and is setup and used primarily for two up riding. The PR5ís do not seem to be wearing as well as the PR4ís or Pirelli Angel GTís, both used previously. Next tires on this bike will be Angel GTís.
Speaking of the Pirelli GTís, they are now standard fitment on the KTM 1290 Superduke GT so would not hesitate to fit them to a 1300R/S if desired. I chose the Bridgestone BT016ís as they were being sold at a very competitive price.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, Remus hexacone. 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2020, 5:16 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi guys
I appreciate the replies posted with your thoughts on tires and to GT or not GT. I spent a few hours yesterday reading what I could find, I went in Cycle Gears and Revzilla’s websites to compare pricing. No surprise they were the same which I thought they would be since they are now one company What was surprising was the tire reviews posted by customers. Bring up a tire of choice and scroll down and read reviews. To my surprise the Michelin PR5’s got glorious reviews. 9 out 10 praised them from wet handling which is not a surprise to track day riding and Corning grip. Some lengthy reviews about how they love the mileage that exceeded they’re previous loved tire.

It caught me off guard what the reviewers were saying about how they liked the PR5 and the PR5GT. Of course there was a few that found no improvement over the PR4’s I ordered them because the fellow at the shop raved about them and talked me out of anything I really thought I wanted. I was having buyers remorse for one reason I’m a guy that I compare myself to a dog with a bone. Once I get an idea and find a product I like I can’t let go. I can’t get it out of my mind. I’m in that mode about tires right now but the PR5’s were not that tire and finding it is hard to go against 25 reviews

I’m also looking at a used Multistrada and I can’t shake that bone again. I get it in my head I need one and I’m all over these things reading all I can.

Ok back to tires, so even though the PR5’s are $50-75.00 more per pair over there other closest competition, I think I’m going to take this fellows advice and get the PR5GT’s. Silver lining here I just found a $50.00 rebate on them right now. I never buy tires on a budget. I buy tires on how I ride and I ride aggressively but do put on touring miles. I’m never looking to get more than 5000 miles out of a tire. In fact I expect less and I’m happy if I get close to that except if I buy a sport tire for a specific reason for a 4-5 day Appalachian tour where I know we’ll not be model citizens. I’m going to give them a shot. I just hope they’re not too stiff of a side wall.

Last thought that sticks in my mind is a group of us we’re in central Pennsylvania late last fall for a weekend of aggressive riding but really to have a guys weekend. It rained two days and then the roads were starting to dry. I was in the lead on a road I was not familiar with. This road was a great classic twister of a road. I have to give credit to the Metzler M3’s I was on my maiden voyage weekend with some good riders and I was impressed with this tire. It did step out but it was controlled and and probably if an experienced K1300S rider that knew how to set up the suspension were on this he may have had it set differently. They were breaking my onions about why I had more miles on my tripometer then they did and the one guy said because I was spinning the tires in the turns. The reason I’m not going back to Metzler is I didn’t like the turn in of them. I felt it turned late or you had to push it to turn. Just my opinion

Thank you for contributing to this thread.
Ben

Last edited by magellan444; Mar 5th, 2020 at 5:42 am.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2020, 7:14 am
Noob

"...I think Iím going to take this fellows advice and get the PR5GTís..."

Obviously Ben, we await your initial impressions of the PR5GTs and your long term review as well!
Cheers,
Steve

2014 Honda F6B "Isleen"
2008 BMW K1200S "Lena"
1995 HD Heritage Special "Saorla"

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2020, 5:26 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Obviously Ben, we await your initial impressions of the PR5GTs and your long term review as well!
Cheers,
Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve,
I mounted up the PR5GT's and went for a 50 mile ride today. Obviously I couldn't get into them too hard corning until I put another 50 or so on them but my initial thoughts are I like them. I put the suspension on comfort and rode some two lane country roads. I found them comfortable not hard like I thought they would be. Pressure was at 38psi rear and 41psi front. I'm going to drop it to 36/38 after I get 50 more miles on them. I thought the turn in was different than the Metzler (meaning I liked the turn in) but I can't be too hard on Metzler here since those were 6 yr old rubber, 5 yrs old when I bought the motorcycle. Its a 2015 with 5300 miles on now. I bought it last yr with 2300 miles on it. The corners felt good, my initial thoughts are a thumbs up.

I'll follow up with a 500 mile check in.

take care
Ben
53driver likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode