BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Dyno run

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Edorazio 
#1 ·
So my local shop was having an open house day and offering free dyno runs the other day. Classes were broken down by CC size.

Put the '08 K12S in the que in the 1001+ CC class. My only mods are a booster plug and I've removed the cat from the stock "potato launcher" muffler.

Ahead of me in the que, a modded 'Busa and a modded Kaw1400 ran up impressive numbers, untouchable by stock bikes.

Then right in front of me was a new Duc V4 Panagale with very impressive 194 HP

Operator told me they were doing most pulls in 4th gear, and I'm assuming thats what they ran me in. Started off with a couple of mid rpm run ups to test everything was setup correctly and bike was secure on the stand.

Then two strong pulls all the way up. She easily ran right up to and popped the rev limiter on both pulls.

Officially 153.1 HP at the wheel without any ram air effect.

Interpolating 10 % for drive line losses and 10 % for ram air probably puts her around 185 hp at the crank. I can live with that.

Nothing else in the class even came close. I finished the day behind the Panagale for stock bikes.

See less See more
#5 ·
That is just about exactly with my K13S did. 149 HP with stock exhaust and then I put a Remus hexcone with no baffle on and it ran 154.5. K bikes rule. This is at sea level but we all know comparisons have to be done on the same dyno due to differences in the machines. Still, lots of fun. The bike was fresh with only about 20,000 miles on it. Now my baby probably is a little tired of that nonsense as it has 120K miles on her. Still a handful when you want it to be.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Great to hear. I looked at Motorcycle Consumer News and their report on the K1300S in stock configuration---151 at the rear wheel on the dyno. I think Cycle World had it at 149.

I've been riding GS's for a long time--had a K1200S back in 2006. Forgot how incredible these machines are. Recently added (no cat):

#10 ·
Today, Had a local shop, mostly Harley customers, Dyno my 2007 K12S, showing 72488 miles.

The hey provided three measures, air fuel ratio over rpm spectrum, hp, torque. Both hp and torque are “fly wheel” measures as per SAE protocol.

I had this done as I purchased the bike two months ago with absolutely NO maintenance records other than statements from the local BMW dealer, as regards recalls, and last service. This was not a dealer purchase.

So, I did the Dyno as a partial mean to benchmark engine condition.

Results? Thought you would never ask.

Horsepower: 188.2 @10250

Torque. : 114.8 @ 9200

I think it’s in pretty good shape

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.