Trying to decide what to do with my 2005 K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2020, 8:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Trying to decide what to do with my 2005 K1200S

Picked up a bumble bee with 12k for $4000.00 on it less than 2 years ago. Check off known issues one after another with zero support from shitty ass dealer here in San Antonio, Texas. Been through 3 fuel sensors, 2 fuel leaks from quick connect, running super rich from idle control solenoid and temp sensor, carbon canister delete, etc... Basically working through a lemon with ALL the known issue of these bikes and now at 20k miles just like clock work Gearbox failure. So needless to say I am discouraged and seriously considering parting this out and moving on. So I am wondering if there is any interest here parts or the bike whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2020, 12:30 pm
Enthusiast

Sorry to say after all the work you have accomplished the tranny failure is probably the kiss of death. You might find a used one on EBay if you look for awhile but repair or new is just really expensive. That series did not undercut the gear dogs and they tend to pop out of gear. Rebuilding this is thousands.
Here are a couple available right now:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ssion&_sacat=0

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2020, 9:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Beachy,
Yeah I'm selling it, parts or whole.
I don't need a sport touring, my commute is 6 miles one way so I'm going with something a little more fun to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Noob

OK, on my 2006, Iíve had to replace the plastic fuel connect for a metal one; had to replace transmission w/ a rebuilt one; had a mystery failure of the CAN-BUS socket after the trans swap; AND have now had the servo-assist whizzy ABS module go out, as well as my brake lights at the same time.

Was going to get on Module Masters list to rebuild the ABS, but COVID-19 has that plan up in the air, and Iím just going to bypass the ABS for now.

I say that only so youíll know I can sympathize, before I ask: For all this bikeís flaws, I think itís closer to a sportbike than a tourer, and if youíre going to get a bike thatís ďmore fun,Ē what are you going for? I would think it would have to be either a liter bike, or naked hooligan based on one. The K1200S is unreliable and infuriating, but the one thing itís been for me is the most fun bike Iíve ever owned.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2020, 10:21 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
Sorry to say after all the work you have accomplished the tranny failure is probably the kiss of death. You might find a used one on EBay if you look for awhile but repair or new is just really expensive. That series did not undercut the gear dogs and they tend to pop out of gear. Rebuilding this is thousands.
Here are a couple available right now:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ssion&_sacat=0
My 2006 K12R only original part is the frame.
So, the tranny went bad as well.
They say they've sorted those out after 2008, or the K13 version (they will fit).
I sent mine out from Nicaragua to Miami to R-DMotorsports.com
Mark Doucette did the dove tail dogs and slots.
It's been strong since 2014.
But it was costly. About $1,400.

------------------------------------------------------
- 2006 K1200R (only original part is the frame)
- 2007 K1200LT
- 2008 K1200S
- 2008 R1200GS
- 2000 DRZ400E
- 2015 Sachs MadAss FY-125
------------------------------------------------------
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2020, 11:15 am
Enthusiast

Good to know the price. Once that work is done, the that transmission is good to go. The K13 has the 3 degree undercut dogs.

Mount Vernon, WA.
tire guy, I'll mount your tires.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2020, 1:06 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hyabusa or ZX14 better bikes all around. More after market support, not stuck taking it to over priced shitty BMW shops and they both do 200mph with minimal mods. K would take 40K to get it there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode